Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Body lifting / chassis.

6K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Noangelbuddy 
#1 ·
Hi.

Once a body has been stripped down to core shell and is unbolted from the chassis' will the shell be light enough in weight for 4 or so men to lift off with timber struts underneath and put on to a cradle?? If not what is the best way to lift body from chassis? Thanks for answers :cheers

#2 ·
I lifted my 65 off the frame with a floor jack and some 4X4's. I stacked new cinder blocks in four corners and jacked the body high enough to run new 4X4's
across the tops of the blocks. When you get it high enough the chassis will roll right out from under the body. The ones in the back should be as far back as possible on the rocker area. Once you get the chassis out of your way you can reposition the body on the 4x4's for safety and secure balance wise.

#4 ·
I did mine backwards. I jacked both the body and frame up as high as I could get it, then supported the the body with jack stands and lowered the chassis from it. I then repaired the rust on the frame and body at the body mounts. Then painted the frame and underside of the body and jacked the frame back up to the body.

Reactions: Bobbyg
#6 ·
I also used an engine hoist. Single hoist and I welded up a four foot long bar, the bar was attached to the hoist and two heavy duty webbing straps, one on each end of the bar. Threaded them through the upper rear wheel wells, and under the front cowl area and lifted the body enough to get the chassis out from under.

I'm about to do the process again, this time using the same bar and a chain-fall attached to a beam above the body.

Why am I doing it again? ....To do it right this time :)

JohnnyB

#7 ·
All good ways and they get the job done' I have hoists, trolley jacks etc.. so when time is right the body can be lifted. I quite like the wooden cradle on wheels idea for body once split so can prep underneath etc..
The resto threads are great for ideas but not many mention the body lift off part so thought would be good to touch on for those contemplating body off resto. :)

#8 ·
I like Goatee's solution. I've done it with 4 guys with a '66, but that was 30 years ago when my back was a lot yonger. You'd need about 8 old guys, I'd think. Mitch (Too Many Projects) fastened a chain to the seat belt mounts on his '67 and used a forklift to do his....no possibility of body damage, and low -overhead- friendly....you could use an engine hoist or two and do it that way....I thought it was a great idea. I still like Goatee's way, though. Next time.....

#13 ·
I saw several videos of six guys lifting off the body, but I didn’t have five friends nearby who were able to assist. Did it myself with hydraulic jacks with 4x4 and 2x4 lumber. Even then I was leery about working on a 500 lb? body balanced on a wooden frame. So in addition to the wood frame I added four cable winch pullers from two horizontal 4x4 posts to eyebolts screwed into floor rafters above. I tested the cables by lifting the body and the wooden frame off the floor. I was then confident in the holding redundancy. Maybe I’m just a nervous Nancy, but I will never be pinned or crushed by any vehicle I work on. Would add a picture, but challenged by transfer from my phone to my IPad...duh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.