Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I put disc on the front and still have drum on the back, I believe the bleeding procedure has changed to LF first, RF second, LR third and RR last?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Since I put disc on the front and still have drum on the back, I believe the bleeding procedure has changed to LF first, RF second, LR third and RR last?
You want to start with the brake that is farthest away. RR, LR, RF, LF.

You want to "bench bleed" the master cylinder if you installed a new one. This is done first to get all air out of the MC. Then connect your lines and then bleed the brakes.

Check the MC reservoir after each cyl bleed as you do not want to go dry and have to do it again. I typically set the cover on top (not secured) of the MC to keep any brake fluid from splashing out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You also want to install a proportioning valve.
Yes it is on there and lines connected. :) I am at the point of deciding to remove the rear end and clean it up before connecting the rear brakes lines since it has 54 years of "stuff" on it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I like to use the Dot 4 fluid...it is compatible with Dot 3...they can be mixed....valvoline even sells a Dot 3/4.....

Dot 4 has a higher boiling point and since you are starting a new system......better to have temperature on your side!:nerd:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts