Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 Bonneville GXP produced brake dust in the wheel so rapidly I washed the wheels every 4th day until I put ceramic pads on, threatening the rotor life. My wife's '05 Grand Prix GXP spits brake dust all over her Alcoa aluminum rims so fast that now, they are starting to stain.
Does the '06 GTO have the same problem? Is there any solution? :confused
Thanks.
Ed

·
Registered
182 Posts
I haven't had any brake dust issues on my 05. My wifes Navigator has major brake dust issue with stock pads. I wax her rims to help keep the dust from staining her rims. I just wipe them down every couple of days.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Yeah, everybody's going toward the really soft European style pads. Gordo's right. Wax your wheels to keep the stuff from sticking. You can also use a really soft bristle brush to knock the stuff off every weekend, too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Best thing to clean the brake dust is use the above mentioned bristle brush and I highly recommend using the DuPont wheel cleaner, just spray it on, let it sit for 30 seconds, wire brush it and rinse it off. It has no acids in it so it is afe for aluminum, painted surfaces, and chrome.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Semi-metallic, no brake dust issues on the 04-06 GTO's.... I'm fighting this crap on my SRT4 now.... just waiting to get the big brake upgrade.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have the Hawk pads up front-- those are pretty dusty, reminiscent of the pads on my old 323i.

The OEM pads are relatively dust-free, but they don't stop the car nearly as well, either.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
187 Posts
k1200lt said:
Interesting stuff. Do you use a Powerball to apply this stuff? How often do you need to reapply?

no, no need for the powerball, personally I wouldn't use a powerball on anything except for polished and chromed wheels.

Apply this by hand like you'd apply a wax :) I'd reapply ever other month or so, or whenever you decide to wax your car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts