Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn signals work fine, but my brake lights are not working. I have tested the continuity across the switch at the petal and it seems to be working fine. I have also looked at the fuses which seem to be fine.

Does anybody have any advice on this? If it were a grounding problem, the turn signals wouldn't work either, correct?

I have heard everyting goes through the turn signal switch. Do I need to replace that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
check that the contacts on the fuse is not rusted, had same problem with mine and it was the ears on the fuse clips. The sockets are self grounding to the taillight housings so make sure all contact points (grounds) are clean also. Yes the wiring runs through the horseshoe harness in the column, thats the next thing to check.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian. I did sand down the contacts at the fuse panel last time that I tried to troubleshoot this problem. I guess that I have some more digging to do. I finally got the trunk pan put back together and the tail panel welded in so I am itching to take it for a drive but am pretty much limited to the neighborhood until I get the tail lights working.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My turn signals work fine, but my brake lights are not working. I have tested the continuity across the switch at the petal and it seems to be working fine. I have also looked at the fuses which seem to be fine.

Does anybody have any advice on this? If it were a grounding problem, the turn signals wouldn't work either, correct?

I have heard everyting goes through the turn signal switch. Do I need to replace that?

Thanks.
I am having the same issue. Does anyone have a CORRECT diagram of the fuse box? switch is good when tested. can't figure it out. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am having the same issue. Does anyone have a CORRECT diagram of the fuse box? switch is good when tested. can't figure it out. :(
sorry looking for a 66 fuse box diagram. Since the switch tests good we are wondering if its a fuse. Tail lights and blinkers work. Removed and cleaned all 6 bulbs in the trunk none were really corroded. So wondering if maybe a fuse? From the top left I can read Inst Panel, Tail, Cigar, Dome.... then they are hard to read as paint is faded. Seems one may read "stop" but ?? I searched and there are like 10 variations and none of which match what I see.
THANK YOU! My Dad left me this car. It just arrived yesterday and found out I had no brake lights! yikes!

·
Registered
830 Posts
These old 12V ground systems can do funky things when something is amiss.
Below is a shot of the '66 Fuse Block off my car.

If the fuse checks out for the stoplights, double-check the bulbs and flasher just to be sure.
I would also suggest a Service Manual it's one of the best tools to have.
Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts

If the fuse checks out for the stoplights, double-check the bulbs and flasher just to be sure.
Cheers.

Thank you! I was looking online for a service manual... Do you have a suggestion on a good one? And holy cow your fuse box is so clean. I thought my car was clean was until I looked up under the dash it’s a little dusty. It just arrived on Tues. brakes are first and wipers second (rains a lot in Florida). Gas gauge 3rd. Then radio. I have so much to learn!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you! I was looking online for a service manual... Do you have a suggestion on a good one? And holy cow your fuse box is so clean. I thought my car was clean was until I looked up under the dash it’s a little dusty. It just arrived on Tues. brakes are first and wipers second (rains a lot in Florida). Gas gauge 3rd. Then radio. I have so much to learn!
Changed out the last fuse. I then had a brake light on drivers side for a few mins. Cycled through the turn and taillight. Back to the brakes and none. I’m thinking my fuses box is corroded and should probably get a new one? Suggestions for who to order through. Here is mine. Yuck::

·
Registered
830 Posts
You have a severe case of crust & rust going on there for sure.
I would disconnect the battery, Pull all the fuses and
use a Dremmel tool with small wire wheel heads and clean that bock up as carefully and best as possible.
I would also change out all the fuses with new/clean ones.
Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You have a severe case of crust & rust going on there for sure.
I would disconnect the battery, Pull all the fuses and
use a Dremmel tool with small wire wheel heads and clean that bock up as carefully and best as possible.
I would also change out all the fuses with new/clean ones.
Cheers.
I read that too. Fuse box are the dirtiest part part of the car honestly. We took out the reverse lights and some other bulbs and cleaned connections. Then I mapped the colors of the 7 wires on the plug in the trunk 5-7 did nothing. Thinking those may be brakes?

·
Registered
830 Posts
As far as manuals go I always recommend a good used original over the re-prints.
I've seen some of the new ones with major printing issues.
Now, this was many years ago so possibly they have improved?

In the meantime here is a color wire schematic that may be of some help,
These can be ordered online.
Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Cheers.

Cheers.

Where would I order a new fuse box. I know you can Dremel it but I think since the corrosion will keep spreading it would be best to get a new one When I looked on the original parts website it seemed they had newer fuse boxes For sale with the current day fuses not the glass type. Yours looks pretty clean and brand new did you order one recently from someone?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm not aware of any of the electrical vendors offering a fuse block. IMO you would be far better off with time and cost to just order a new dash hardness.
M&H is IMO the leader in 100% factory correct, Plug, and Play harnesses.

·
Registered
424 Posts
New fuse boxes are not available except as part of a new wiring harness.
I rebuilt mine but finding the right terminals was difficult. The vendor I bought mine from was down to his last few sets.

IMG_1142.JPG fullsizeoutput_1bab.jpeg IMG_1247.JPG

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't really care for the aftermarket schematics. Not always correct or missing connection points. Always better to buy the factory service manual for a little bit more money for accurate electrical drawings. Plus the service manual shows all the optional equipment electrical wiring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not aware of any of the electrical vendors offering a fuse block. IMO you would be far better off with time and cost to just order a new dash hardness.
M&H is IMO the leader in 100% factory correct, Plug, and Play harnesses.
I’m looking at their site. Not sure what it’s listed as. I can try to call but idk if they’re open on Saturday. Thoughts? Reproduction Wiring Harnesses for America's Muscle Cars

·
Registered
830 Posts
You would need the Dash Harness that is correct with/for your cars trans and if it has gauges.

Their Harnesses are a direct replacement and would be similar to this...

There are a few less costly harness kits available, But you get what you pay for.
A competent and mechanically inclined person could handle this install.
The piece of mind you get after replacing the 50+-year-old harness with possible unknown add ons and./or splices is well worth the cost IMO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts