Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks - Got my new 06 GTO in Phantom metallic black from Star Pontiac in Leesburg, VA on Friday - finally got to take it out for a while today because of the snowstorm yesterday. I am very fond of this car - traded at 2001 Lincoln LS V8 Sport for it. I was using the dealer garage, saw the car on the lot, and so on..... Taking it out for a real drive today (finally!) I had about a 95% positive experience but do have a couple questions for the hardened vets out there.

A - Side mirror control is not working when you want to move the mirror down. I know dealer will have to fix this but I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem. Also - can I push it down with my hand without breaking it even more.

B - Rough idle - OK, its really cold today. I used 87 octane gas (LS took 91 or above so I thought I could slide on the new Goat.). This is probably a mistake.

C - Ride high or ride low - Trying to find the right seat positions. I'm a little man (5' 7") so I am trying to find the right fit - any preferences. I notice riding it "medium high" that there is a mad blind spot on the left. Would anything help.

Otherwise this is a bad rail! First Pontiac. I would recommend the dealer. Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
305 Posts
A. Mirror may have been manually "clicked" out of calibration. Mine does the same thing if I press too hard when Windexing. You can use your hand and click it back in place gently and it shouldn't cause any harm. If that's not the case, then I'd let the dealer mess with it.

B. Hey guy, did you miss the bold, bright red "Premium Fuel Recommended" sticker on the inside of the gas tank flap? C'mon.

Also, if you've never owned a large V-8 don't mistake that nice lopey idle for rough idling. You should get a minor car shake every once a while that is the beautiful and normal lope of a that monster V-8 under the hood.

C. 6'1" so cannot speak intelligently on that topic. I ride with the seat low so my head's not in the roof.

Congratulations on the new buy and welcome to the forum!! You'll be driving around with a :D on your face for many months to come!!!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Let me be the first to congratulate you on your choice of muscle cars my friend! I may have a few answers for your questions;

A- Never heard of it happening before but definitely have the dealer check it out.

B- More than probably the gas!

C- I'm only 5'2"...Medium high works well for me and once you have the side mirror control working to your benefit, that blind spot won't be as bad.

Enjoy and welcome to the herd!

·
Registered
584 Posts
MeanGoat said:
A. Mirror may have been manually "clicked" out of calibration. Mine does the same thing if I press too hard when Windexing. You can use your hand and click it back in place gently and it shouldn't cause any harm. If that's not the case, then I'd let the dealer mess with it.

B. Hey guy, did you miss the bold, bright red "Premium Fuel Recommended" sticker on the inside of the gas tank flap? C'mon.

Also, if you've never owned a large V-8 don't mistake that nice lopey idle for rough idling. You should get a minor car shake every once a while that is the beautiful and normal lope of a that monster V-8 under the hood.

C. 6'1" so cannot speak intelligently on that topic. I ride with the seat low so my head's not in the roof.

Congratulations on the new buy and welcome to the forum!! You'll be driving around with a :D on your face for many months to come!!!
Amen Brother I was gunna say the Same thing
I'm 6'3" but I guess just watch yer head when you get in your GOAT

·
Registered
307 Posts
A - Owned a 2004, traded it in on a 2006, never had a power mirror problem. Others might be on the mark about "clicking" it back into place.

B - Spend the extra quarter per gallon for premium. It will amount to $4.50 extra per tankful, and just skip lunch one day of the week. :lol: Even on Sunoco Ultra 94, I get a gentle rocking/shaking at idle. Normal for this car, it's not a Cadillac.

C - My suggestion is to sit as low as possible while keeping comfort (both posture- and vision-wise. It will help with handling to keep the CG as low as possible. I'm only 5'8" and I have the seat as low as possible, and would prefer if it went about two inches closer to the floor. In comparison, my '98 Buick Century seating position feels much higher and more upright than the GTO.

·
Registered
584 Posts
MeanGoat said:
Still clunk my head once in a great while.

Usually when the dammit service department leaves the seat in the dash cause they can't reach the pedals!!
Man I think they have a lucky charms lepracon driving the cars to the back at my dealer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.