Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Tuesday ended a long experience with foreign sport cars. I traded in my Nissan 350Z for a 2005 GTO. What a difference. I haven't had that much fun since I rode in a 1968 Mustang GT 500. I appreciate your forum and I have already gotten information from different contributors. Thanks, I'll be back.

UdnUdnGTO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
UdnUdnGTO said:
Last Tuesday ended a long experience with foreign sport cars. I traded in my Nissan 350Z for a 2005 GTO. What a difference. I haven't had that much fun since I rode in a 1968 Mustang GT 500. I appreciate your forum and I have already gotten information from different contributors. Thanks, I'll be back.

UdnUdnGTO
Welcome man. What color, transmission?

They are smile carvers. Thats for sure.


Big difference in driving and power curves between the two cars you mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
congrats and welcome :party:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
It's that good ol' tire-smoking low-end torque that makes the detroit muscle cars so dang much fun to drive. It always has been, and hopefully always will be. The screaming top end is just a big bonus.
Those foreign vehicles may get better gas mileage, they might even be better at flying through a twisty section of the road, but they just can't produce the smiles that the good ol' American muscle cars can.

Welcome to the club and enjoy your goat. :cheers
(I have the same color/transmission as you)
 

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
Joined
·
260 Posts
UdnUdnGTO said:
Its Big Bird, yellow and a 6 speed. Thanks for asking. Of course I can remember riding in a '68 Mustang GT500 Shelby too. Nice to be here
Welcome ,I've got a yellow screaming banana too and this is the next best thing to Detroit muscle,i know the feeling, used to have a 69 GTO.Enjoy your new ride !
 

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
Joined
·
260 Posts
Tom said:
What part of our car comes from Detroit?
Sorry your too young to understand.........you had to own a muscle car to know!
 

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
Joined
·
260 Posts
baron_iv said:
It's that good ol' tire-smoking low-end torque that makes the detroit muscle cars so dang much fun to drive. It always has been, and hopefully always will be. The screaming top end is just a big bonus.
Those foreign vehicles may get better gas mileage, they might even be better at flying through a twisty section of the road, but they just can't produce the smiles that the good ol' American muscle cars can.

Welcome to the club and enjoy your goat. :cheers
(I have the same color/transmission as you)
I agree totally...good ole power does put that smile on your face and it started in Detroit my hometown!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
bluhaven said:
Sorry your too young to understand.........you had to own a muscle car to know!
You mean the 68 Firebird convertible in my avatar that i had since 1976 and was made in ohio for 29 years is not a muscle car?

How about the 67 Lemans convertible, the 76 camaro, 77 formula, and a few others like the 93 Z28 in my signature with the Viper six speed from the factory with a SLP SS Level II suspension plus, plus.

again i ask what part of our car comes from detroit? could it be the independant rear suspension for straight line stability? The canadian made motor? the beautiful seats with genuine alcantara from a free range australian alcantara farm?

Maybe you havent driven your muscle car in a few decades. I drove my 68 Firebird last weekend. My GTO is way too refined to be a muscle car, and much faster than most muscle cars made in the 60s and 70s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Tom said:
You mean the 68 Firebird convertible in my avatar that i had since 1976 and was made in ohio for 29 years is not a muscle car?

How about the 67 Lemans convertible, the 76 camaro, 77 formula, and a few others like the 93 Z28 in my signature with the Viper six speed from the factory with a SLP SS Level II suspension plus, plus.

again i ask what part of our car comes from detroit? could it be the independant rear suspension for straight line stability? The canadian made motor? the beautiful seats with genuine alcantara from a free range australian alcantara farm?

Maybe you havent driven your muscle car in a few decades. I drove my 68 Firebird last weekend. My GTO is way too refined to be a muscle car, and much faster than most muscle cars made in the 60s and 70s.
I think the Pontiac badges are from Detroit:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:eek: Sorry to cause such a furior. It is an old phrase from Old Farts, of which I am one. See, a long, long time ago, Detroil USED to be the center of the American car industry. To say it was from "Detroit" was the same as sayng it was American. Recognizing the Austrailian roots of the GTO, still it is marketed as an American Icon, the GTO, therefore the phrase "Detroit Muscle" comes to an Old Fart's mind. Bottom line, it is a hoot. Took it up to a friend, Vietnam Vet, he got in and his word to his wife...."I got to have one of these."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Last time I checked, GM was still based in Detroit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
s2gordon said:
I think the Pontiac badges are from Detroit:D
Gotcha!! Thanks. I knew there had to be something from detroit on the car. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, this car is way too refined to be compared to the lumpy idle solid axle stump pulling muscle cars of yesteryear.

I drove the firebird with its flexi flyer frame and make a reservation to turn or brake a few days ago and couldnt believe what a POS it drove like compared to the GTO.

Our muscle cars drove a lot better in our memories than they do today. Thats why the miata is such a success. It is what we remembered a true sports car to be like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sadly, you are right. I remember a certain Plymouth GTX convertable with a 440 Magnum. We were traveling down I-70 between Columbia, MO and St.Louis. We hit 160mph and the front end was all over the road. Shut her down! I won't do that again. The other day, I was with a friend of mine, he owns a WRX Sti and we did 138 in Wyoming. Solid performer. Maybe Detroit got it right, finally. That GTO hugs the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
I guess I didn't mean "detroit muscle" as in the car physically came from detroit. However, the original american musclecar FEEL is alive and well in the modern GTO. Sure, it handles better, it's much friendlier to drive, but it's still got that menacing growl at idle, which builds to a full blown roar at redline...it's got that breakneck low-end torque, just like the original musclecars. You can still do a burnout which will be the envy of every pimply-faced 17 year old male at the local fast food joint. The car is just a blast to drive. There's really nothing like it in the japanese line of cars and there's absolutely nothing like it anywhere in the world for the price.
So "detroit musclecar" is more of a *feel* to me, it's nothing that you can buy, steal or reproduce...some cars have it, some don't. Sorry for starting all the turmoil in this thread! haha
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top