Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, tomorrow I shall fire up the Goat after a full rebuilt. (NERVOUS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~)
what break in oil do you guys recommend?
thanks a s always
Tk
:seeya:

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
SAE30 with a bottle of ZDDP additive. Run the engine at 2000-3000 RPM for 30 minutes to break in cam. Use a box fan in front of the radiator and have a hose and a fire extinguisher handy. Do NOT let it idle. After the cam breakin, dump the oil and filter, and install new 10/30 or 15/40 oil and filter with ZDDP additive and drive it. Change that oil at about 500 miles and you're good to go. I run Shell Rotella 15/40 diesel spec oil in mine.

·
Registered
711 Posts
SAE30 with a bottle of ZDDP additive. Run the engine at 2000-3000 RPM for 30 minutes to break in cam. Use a box fan in front of the radiator and have a hose and a fire extinguisher handy. Do NOT let it idle. After the cam breakin, dump the oil and filter, and install new 10/30 or 15/40 oil and filter with ZDDP additive and drive it. Change that oil at about 500 miles and you're good to go. I run Shell Rotella 15/40 diesel spec oil in mine.
GeeTee, I think we're surfing the same brain waves here... That is just about to a "T" what I would have told him. I'm also running Rotella 15/40 diesel spec.

Good luck TK. It's always stressful going into the first fire up and break-in.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Topkat, I like Brad Penn 10W30, but agree with the other gentlemen as well. I would recommend sharing this experience with at least one other person. Two is even better. Get as much coolant in the system as you can before start up. You might even pull the temp sending unit from the intake to top it off. Have someone check your work to include making sure you have not crossed a couple plug wires. Regards, Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts