Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Just purchased a 2006 30 miles on the clock. Was wondering about the break-in period. No faster than 55 mph until 500 miles what are they nuts!

Or is that just recommended? Thoughts please.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This has been discussed many times. You will find some people that think you should drive it like you stole it off the lot.
You'll find some that think you should drive it really easy. Maybe even follow the 55 mph limit suggested.
Then you'll find people like myself that think you should take it easy the first 500 or 1000. I kept my car under 4K rpm's until I got 1K miles on my car.
I have to drive interstate so under 55 is out of the question. I didn't take it over 80 mph though.
Avoid full throttle until your out of the 500 mile period. Stuff like that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't know as much about cars but...I can tell you from my experience w/ high performance sportbikes about new engine break-ins. I have had 2 new bikes and a used one. My 2 new bikes I followed a fellow more experienced rider/bike builder's advice. His best break in advice was to shift early (2.5 grand in a car i assume) in city traffic but when you get out to open highway to gradually go through each gear ascending through the rpm's all the way to redline shifting through the gears then downshifting and letting the engine do some gradual braking as well. I did and w/ both bikes I dyno'd w/ more HP (3 more on my F4i) than others with the exact same make/model year mileage. I did this for the first 600 miles. You change the oil after that and you'll find evidence of why you need to go through a break in period...metal filings in the oil after the first 100 miles, and after 500 mile change after that.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
They must want you to drive it in 2nd or 3rd gear for 500 miles! :rofl:

Seriuosly, if you think about it, lugging the car around in 6th gear @ 55 MPH probably does more harm than just driving it with some good sense.

Vary the RPM's, don't just drive it all on Interstate @ 65MPH in 6th; Brisk, but not balls to the wall acceleration, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since I do lots of interstate driving, I had to go over 55, but I was conservative on the shifts for the first 500 miles. I also did not use cruise control, and made sure I did vary it a bit. I also did as much city driving just to help the break in. I have a little over 800 miles now, and she still pulls very strong, so I am not sure if there is any need to keep it under 55. If it was written correctly, it should have been to watch the RPMs.

Congrats and enjoy:party:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.