Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I've read some conflicting reports on proper break-in for the GTO. So, I thought I'd start this thread to solicit some more feedback to an important issue. Basically, my understanding is to not drive it too hard for the first 500
miles and that highway speeds are okay (depending on how fast you get there!).
My goat will NOT be a daily driver and I plan on enjoying many years with
my baby. Just looking for some good advice for a new owner. First oil change,
type of oil, etc. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
CPO's GTO said:
Hey Guys,
I've read some conflicting reports on proper break-in for the GTO. So, I thought I'd start this thread to solicit some more feedback to an important issue. Basically, my understanding is to not drive it too hard for the first 500
miles and that highway speeds are okay (depending on how fast you get there!).
My goat will NOT be a daily driver and I plan on enjoying many years with
my baby. Just looking for some good advice for a new owner. First oil change,
type of oil, etc. Thanks in advance!
I did not adhere to the 55 mph for the first 500 miles. I did however drive it sensible. I drove basically the speed limits. Top speed may have been 70 mph. Use common sense. My oil level reads full at close to 5000 miles, so the rings and all have set ok. Other's have reported using as much as a quart of oil before 3000 miles. Watch your tach, and use common sense, you'll be fine.

As far as oil changes, everyone has a different theory. Standard procedure is to change it at 3000 miles. I have done that with every car I have ever owned. My first Oil change came at 3000 miles with the GTO. Being the GTO uses synthetic, I go 5000 miles between changes.

Oil filter, again everyone has their own preference for whatever reason. I use the K&N filter.

Oil: I will continue to use Mobil 1. Others have a different preference. My advise, use a good quality synthetic, do not use regular oil, stick to the synthetics.

If you go beating the car expect to have problems. I ran in to a guy who bought it to race it. He's spent bokoo bucks fixing this that and the other thing. He too has the SAP package and found out that there is wind drag from under the car at the rear facia. He modified it underneath to avoid the wind drag. He told me he toasted the rotors and cracked the brakes at 500 miles...... He wasn't giving the car break in time. He raced it right out of the dealership.

That is extreme for a new motor. With him driving it at 170 mph (so he claims) and at over 100 mph on regular basis, and at 145 many times, the odds of him having that car for a long time is against him. Sooner or later, he's gonna meet up with concrete and he'll lose that race.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Be sensible about driving it. I had mine on the dyno with about 480 miles on it then I took it easy again untill 1200 miles. I did change the oil to Royal Purple and the engine idled an ran smoother with it, also did a KN oil filter.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rickgto/GTOjudge,
I appreciate the time and effort to give me your words of wisdom. I picked her up today! Abosolutely beautiful. Still can't figure out what people are talking about when they say it doesn't have curb appeal. I feel on top of the world after being confined to mini vans for several years...As I said I intend to enjoy this car for many years so miles will be kept to a minimum but I will still enjoy her...Even took my whole
family for a cruise this evening. 10 and 7 year boys with their 3 yr old sister in the back (3 kids = 2 adults right?) and my wife up front with me...Even got to stop and watch a Fireworks display! What a night to remember! Thanks guys...I'll post some
pics tomorrow. She is Black with Red interior, M6 with 18"ers. Mission accomplished.
Only took me two years!:lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.