Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an A body convertible that can seat six, which requires a bench front seat. While there are some cars available with this, it pales in comparison to those with buckets, since many cars born with a bench have been converted to buckets over the years. While I can find some base cars with a bench - Tempest/Cutlass/etc - I'd really prefer the muscle version, such as the GTO/442/etc.

I know it seems like sacrilege, since the opposite is so commonly done, but what would it take to convert a 65-67 GTO convertible to a front bench? I realize that a console automatic would be thousands to change the shifter/steering column, etc - so I'm mainly considering manuals for this.

I realize that a bench seat/foam/covering would be involved. I assume different brackets for the seat.

If the car has a console, and it's removed, does it usually require new carpet? I assume there must be a boot/trim piece that would be needed for the shift lever?

Any idea what this would cost? There are a bunch of restored GTO convertibles at Mecum in a couple weeks, but they are all buckets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been following this forum for 2+ years and decided to join after reading your post. I have a restored bench seat, column shift, auto, 67, convertible I bought about three years ago. It has the original parchment interior in good shape. I have always wondered if a bench seat GTO has the same seat as a Lemans. Mine has a fold down arm rest, and I agree this is much more practical. Don't know if there are many like this out there.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts