Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick observation. Initially I was very impressed with the build quality of the GTO, but I never fully appreciated it until I detailed the interior of my Wife's 03 Grand Am GT this weekend. WOW!!! I don't know why it's so hard to get the same quality over here. I realize the two cars are in a totally different category, but still. I know Groucho, it's not really a Pontiac :lol: :lol: , but it's still a GM product. We could learn some lessons from the lads down under. :cheers :cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
I drive the absolute crap out of my Goat.....
Heated seats and all that BS I bought a 05 E320....
Tickles me to see Goat owners complaining about trunk space/heated side mirrors....automatic fart removal system.....hells bells......it's a muscle car damnit:)
I bought the Goat to burn gas and haul ass.....
But as much abuse as I heap on her...she rides like a dream...no rattles/squeaks/farts or burps.....just a pleasure to drive......well built car .......
I agree with you...damn nice quality for a $30K car...no doubt.....

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
How did the great build quality of the GTO happen? Holden's doing fine as a division (#1 in Australia and making money) so the a-holes in Detroit didn't dick with it -- until now.

The next generation Monaro is on hold -- and because it's now a "global" car -- beancounters who care more about "being part of the team" instead of kicking people in the nuts and building great cars will be all over it.

The key to a great car is solid engineering and spending a little extra on components that make a difference. It's not necessarily the workers on the assembly line -- because if you're stuck screwing together pieces of hippo flop (Delphi parts) instead of really well thought out parts (stuff like Bosch) -- you're just wasting your time.

Enjoy your car as much as you can -- because it might very well be a fluke from GM.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I third that - the build quality is by far the best of any GM product I've owned or been in. This car feels amazing from a solidity standpoint. The fitment of the interior is superior, things are nestled tightly and flawlessly (or at least from the driver's perspectively.

It's kind of sad that the fact that the GTO isn't really a Pontiac is why the build quality is so good.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'll concur with everyone else on overall build quality. The car's very tight, and the look and feel of the interior beats any GM product I've ever had.

That being said, I don't want GM and/or Holden to rest on their laurels. The car isn't perfect. I can spot several little annoyances from the driver's seat that are noticeable, yet not profound enough to warrant a trip to the dealer.

I'm talking about slightly wavy A-pillar trim, some visible sealant between the A-pillar and windshield on the passenger side, and two pieces of interior trim at the base of the windshield that are at slightly different heights. Oh--and when I look in the rearview mirror and catch a glimpse of that insert between the two rear buckets, I notice that it looks like a dog with one floppy ear because the left and right upper points aren't the same.

Small potatoes, though, when I think of the problems I've had in every previous car I've owned (all of which were GMs of one stripe or another).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.