Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First 1/4 mile runs, kind of bummed.
My car, 2005 A4.........2,000 miles. Full tank of premium, fresh oil pan full of Mobil 1. These are the only changes from when I drove it off the lot. I did not heat up the tires much as this is a daily driver. Location was Houston raceway park in Baytown, Texas, altitude about 50'.

Wonderful weather for runs, a real cool night. Hope I was running against the wind. :lol:

My races. First 3 had the wife as a passenger, last one did not. I am 51 years old, so my reactions are probably not as good as you younger guys. Haven't made runs since around 1987, and then made only 5 or 6. This probably has a bearing as I am sure better drivers get better times.

Launched maybe 1500 rpm's, did not want to spin too badly, maybe I launched at too low rpm's. Traction control off, kept it in third gear the whole time, never shifted.

Before I post my runs, let me state I was expecting mid 13's. Would have been real happy with 13.5. My Pontiac GTO sales brouchere stated 13.0 for the auto in the quarter.

My runs.....time.....mph....0-60'.....r/t
2......14.089.....99.90..... 2.121.....933

I am comfortable with my knowledge with time, mph, 0-60, but r/t is a new one to the old_goat. I am thinking reaction time. How important is reaction time in the scheme of things? Both of my 13 second times were in the right lane. Both of my 14 second times were in the left lane.

Any thoughts? Is the car too new and not had enough break in time to be bummed at this time?

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Is your track at sea level?

Your 60ft times are slow, on stock tires you should be getting 2.0s.
That alone would have put you in the 13.7-13.8 range.
Stock I would heat up the tires in the box then pull forward to the
line and powerbrake to 2000rpm,then at the light slam the pedal down,
never got any wheelspin and got consitant 2.0 60fts.

Full tank of gas is around 150lbs, running with 4-5 gallons would have knocked
over 100lbs of your weight taking another tenth off the et and adding 1mph.

So just working on the launch and running less fuel I am pretty sure
you would have cracked off some 13.6s-13.7ets

·
Registered
233 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
Is your track at sea level?

Your 60ft times are slow, on stock tires you should be getting 2.0s.
That alone would have put you in the 13.7-13.8 range.
Stock I would heat up the tires in the box then pull forward to the
line and powerbrake to 2000rpm,then at the light slam the pedal down,
never got any wheelspin and got consitant 2.0 60fts.

Full tank of gas is around 150lbs, running with 4-5 gallons would have knocked
over 100lbs of your weight taking another tenth off the et and adding 1mph.

So just working on the launch and running less fuel I am pretty sure
you would have cracked off some 13.6s-13.7ets

:agree

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Those are a bit high. It could possibly be your reaction time.

I personally would start your run at 2000 RPMs and then feather the throttle for a second two at the most, then floor it. I launches the autos very well on the stock tires.

You would lose about 300 lbs if you ran light on a 1/4 tank, minus the wifey and the spare tire.

This car is a fickle on the track and does take some getting used to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Old_Goat said:
First 1/4 mile runs, kind of bummed.
My car, 2005 A4.........2,000 miles. Full tank of premium, fresh oil pan full of Mobil 1. These are the only changes from when I drove it off the lot. I did not heat up the tires much as this is a daily driver. Location was Houston raceway park in Baytown, Texas, altitude about 50'.

Wonderful weather for runs, a real cool night. Hope I was running against the wind. :lol:

My races. First 3 had the wife as a passenger, last one did not. I am 51 years old, so my reactions are probably not as good as you younger guys. Haven't made runs since around 1987, and then made only 5 or 6. This probably has a bearing as I am sure better drivers get better times.

Launched maybe 1500 rpm's, did not want to spin too badly, maybe I launched at too low rpm's. Traction control off, kept it in third gear the whole time, never shifted.

Before I post my runs, let me state I was expecting mid 13's. Would have been real happy with 13.5. My Pontiac GTO sales brouchere stated 13.0 for the auto in the quarter.

My runs.....time.....mph....0-60'.....r/t
2......14.089.....99.90..... 2.121.....933

I am comfortable with my knowledge with time, mph, 0-60, but r/t is a new one to the old_goat. I am thinking reaction time. How important is reaction time in the scheme of things? Both of my 13 second times were in the right lane. Both of my 14 second times were in the left lane.

Any thoughts? Is the car too new and not had enough break in time to be bummed at this time?

Thanks folks.

I remember when I got a 14.28 on a stock 03 Mustang (compared to 14.7normally) and people were amazed at how I did it. It took multiple runs, and lots of learning at the track...all in all, 13.9 is pretty damn good for a first try...but track conditions and launching WILL vary your time as much as half a second. As you get better, your times will improve.

...wait, you said you kept it in third gear the whole time? Maybe that's why

·
Registered
454 Posts
first run since 87,full tank of gas,passenger in car,left at 1500 rpm,fell asleep at line ...........I would say not bad at all considering
I bet if you went to the track a few more times and got the RT times down you will easily run mid 13's every time

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dont be bummed. Your times will improve with practice. Try to follow previous posters advice with reducing the weight, i.e. passenger and full tank of gas and inch the revs up on your launch.

Keep in mind that your reaction time is irrelevant to your e.t. it only factors into who wins or loses the race. You can sit their for 5 minutes and still run 13 seconds. Until you leave the staging beam your e.t. isnt started.

Good luck and have fun. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
dealernut said:
Those are a bit high. It could possibly be your reaction time.
Your reaction time is not a factor in your e.t. You can sit at the light for an hour. The timmer does not start until you hit the gas.

On-topic, the 60' times are WAY too slow. You have to try to get those down. You can try lowering your tire pressure to the low 20 psi range and that will give you a bit more grip off the line. Burning out on a street tire is generally a horrible idea. Street tires are designed to run their best when kept at a lower temperature. it sounds like you need to lower your weight as has been stated here already and launch at a higher RPM. That is going to make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
17 Posts
running faster

ok the reaction times could be lower ,just work on that takes practice,as for the gas it weights in at around 8lbs per gallon and what ever the passenger weights ?for every 100lbs you loose 1tenth a second and 2mph in the quarter..plus this car weights in at 3900lbs this sucks not sure where they put the damn wight on our car but i am going to try and find out..lol most of it is aluminum like the rear end and motor,heck wheres the weight at? back to the issues if you would leave the traction contol on let off the brake and hold her to the floor as the last yellow light hits you in the face you would see better reaction time try this and you should get better at it...cause the 2.0 or slower 60ft sucks i have driven mine alot on the street and with traction on the damn car launches pretty hard so try it at the track,i plann to do some mods to mine soon,drag radial converter long tubes and such,there is no reason why these cars wont run high to mid twelves in the quarter:agree i am in ohio and right now its freakin winter all be it not bad or snowy darn tracks are closed or i would have some good times posted,lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lower the weight and let the auto trany do the work. Dont put it in third? And since you are lowering the weight(get rid of the hickhiker and have less gas in it, and take out spare tire kit) you will want to lower the rpm you are launching at. I have an 05 A4 as well and I launch at 1200-1300 without the TC and take about 2 seconds(now it takes me about 1.5 secs) to get the pedal to the floor then I just sit back and keep her steady. The stock tires will still spin a little when she shifts herself even after I lowered the air pressure to about 19psi. I was able to get 13.7 my first time ever at a track abck in Oct as well. I did not bother warming the stock tires up. Don't worry about your reaction time unless you are actually racing someone. Launch when you are ready until you have it down perfectly. I personally can't wait to get back to the track in the spring and see how much I have improved on my launch since I practice at every light that stops me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.