Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I have been researching to buy a car for about a year now. I'm going to be 18 in about 5 days, so I'm taking some money I have and buying myself a new car. A new 05 GTO, I should have it 1-3 days before the 5th of july.(thats when the GM discount ends, so this is just in time)

I can't wate, and what a difference it will be from driving my 1991 v6 5speed dodge daytona. :party:

Anything you guys want to add about this car, like what are most doing for some nice hp improvements on the already 400hp LS2.
Do most of you guys run high 12's or low 13's at the strip, I could not find much on track times of skilled drivers.
whats it liked compared to a m6 ws6 in terms of a good old race?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
05GTOM6 said:
Well guys I have been researching to buy a car for about a year now. I'm going to be 18 in about 5 days, so I'm taking some money I have and buying myself a new car. A new 05 GTO, I should have it 1-3 days before the 5th of july.(thats when the GM discount ends, so this is just in time)

I can't wate, and what a difference it will be from driving my 1991 v6 5speed dodge daytona. :party:

Anything you guys want to add about this car, like what are most doing for some nice hp improvements on the already 400hp LS2.
Do most of you guys run high 12's or low 13's at the strip, I could not find much on track times of skilled drivers.
18? You are a lucky dog to be getting one of these at 18.... I gotta ask.... what is your insurance for it?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
05GTOM6 said:

In cooler weather (60-65 degrees) I clocked a 12.895 at 109 and a 13.05 at 110. It's tricky to launch. In 85 degree high humidity runs, I'm seeing 13.5-13.7 at 104. At the track take your fuel rail covers off and open the hood plugs. By the way I ran a 13.7 the other day and a guy in an 05' Mustang ran the exact same. Not against me but 3 runs ahead of me. I felt sick to my stomach, until I found out it was a Rousch stage 3 supercharged and that was his best run for the day.
I haven't done any power adders yet. I like the sound of the stock exhaust and no one has a CAI that I'm impressed with yet.
On a hot day the WS6 is going to beat you stock versus stock, but only by a couple tenths. On a cool day you'll do the same to him. The key word is stock. Most WS6 drivers that race have modded their cars. Once they start coming out with more mods for the LS2, it should very easily run into the low 12's and with some more serious stuff who knows.
Main thing is you will be able to run with the fastest and whenever you make a long roadtrip everyone will want to ride with you. It's quiet, fast, cool because you don't see them all the time, has a real backseat with a/c ducts, and rides great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
GTO judge said:
18? You are a lucky dog to be getting one of these at 18.... I gotta ask.... what is your insurance for it?
FOR REAL I`m better than twice your age and insurance rivals my Corvette I would hate to see the bill , nice to see a kid wanting American muscle but it`s quite a bit if car..............be careful.

·
Registered
33 Posts
05GTOM6 said:

You getting it from Country Pontiac and Buick? We just picked up our Black M6 from Anthony, which is also where we got the WS6. Is your Daytona white, possibly with an exhaust? I saw one yesterday around 10:30 am on Rte.120, thought it was an old fox body from way back but realized it wasn't so I wasn't gonna bother. And yea insurance is gonna be evil, seriously get the bare minimum from safe auto or something and it will still be a couple thousand a year. I'm about to turn 21 and the WS6 would be over 6k a year if I wasn't under my fathers policy. But congrats on the good choice, you will not regret it, and the difference is incredible. I went from a 2000 Sentra SE 5 speed to the WS6 :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No my daytona is blue/black hood.

I'm not worreid about the insurance on this car because I'm having it put under my mother's name and I'm going under her 02 cavalier. From what I hear over on the ls1talk forums that they are paying around $1200 a year or less for a male around the age of 40(for woman it's less too). Either way the car payment will be around $280 a month so even if the insurance is a bit high, I still think that I will be able to make it just fine. Also I heard some people saying that their insurance co. does not consider it a sports car, rather a mid-sized luxery sedan or somthing like that.

American muscle baby all the way, this is America. It was either a 00 WS6 or the Goat. I'm sorry but I hate import cars for the most part, just because of what people my age have done to them.

So it seems like this LS2 does not like the hot high humidity weahter huh? Have you ever thought of putting bags of ice in the intake manfold of the car between the runs?

One last question, anyone know of anybody running NX kits on this car? My friend just got a $2400 set up on his 5.0 for a 75, 100, and 250. Right now he's running the 100, it already lifts one tire off the ground, and will soon be using the 250.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not stupid, and I'm buying it myself. I'm putting everything I have into this car, I will worship it, it will be my baby, and I will not do stupid things like most others my age would.
There is a point in your life where you relize; that you just have to draw the line, and you stop. other's just must relize it sooner..

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm not saying you're going to take it for granted or anything - I just think it's a LOT of power for a new driver.

Also, keep in mind: I was a straight-A honor student with a job; An extremely responsible young man who never drank or did any drugs. That being said, I did some awfully idiotic things behind the wheel of my car. With 400 HP, I would have had at least one terrible accident I think.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't under estimate the power of the Force!!

You can talk all you want - Its addicting and can easily persuade you into unsafe situations!!

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
05GTOM6 said:
No my daytona is blue/black hood.

I'm not worreid about the insurance on this car because I'm having it put under my mother's name and I'm going under her 02 cavalier. From what I hear over on the ls1talk forums that they are paying around $1200 a year or less for a male around the age of 40(for woman it's less too). Either way the car payment will be around $280 a month so even if the insurance is a bit high, I still think that I will be able to make it just fine. Also I heard some people saying that their insurance co. does not consider it a sports car, rather a mid-sized luxery sedan or somthing like that.

American muscle baby all the way, this is America. It was either a 00 WS6 or the Goat. I'm sorry but I hate import cars for the most part, just because of what people my age have done to them.

So it seems like this LS2 does not like the hot high humidity weahter huh? Have you ever thought of putting bags of ice in the intake manfold of the car between the runs?

One last question, anyone know of anybody running NX kits on this car? My friend just got a $2400 set up on his 5.0 for a 75, 100, and 250. Right now he's running the 100, it already lifts one tire off the ground, and will soon be using the 250.
Going under her cavalier? hmmmmmm. I am 47 and I am paying 666.00 with a 50.00 comp and 250 collision deductibles per year. I don't know about your moms ins co. but I know with mine... when a rider is put on a policy the policy goes buy the most expensive car on the policy and the youngest age of driver in that household whether he drives it or not. And it doesn't count occasional driving. I have 2 sons and I went through this twice. The Ins. Co goes by the vin #. And on my policy my GTO is listed as a high performance car. I seriously doubt that because you will be under your mom's policy and she drives a cavalier, you won't be nailed for a premium rate. You can't mask a GTO under a cavalier on any policy. Trust me, when the Ins Co. sees a GTO on the policy and asks if there is an 18 yr old on the policy....... Her policy is gonna sky rocket. If you're only paying 280 a month for your car then you got some big $ down or you got a mortgage on it. You will be nowhere near 1200 a year on Ins. You're looking minimum 3k. But hey, if ya can afford it go for it. Trust me when you are behind the wheel and your buds come up to you in their rice burners with coffee can exhausts and taunt you, you will at times give in to temptation. All it takes is one ticket with points to sting your wallet. And at 18 you'll be lucky they don't drop you. Listen to the guys on here. Most of us have been around a looooong time and seen and experienced first hand what you are being forewarned about. NO way would I permit my 18 yr old to have a 400hp car. Not only am I concerned for his financial future with his young age, meaning at his age money should go towards priorities, but his safety as well. But that's me. If ya got the bucks GET ER' DONE.....

·
Registered
937 Posts
Wow 18! Dude be CAREFUL. As for insurance, call your dealer and have him give you a VIN code for a 05 GTO, it doesnt matter if its from the unit you will recieve or not. Call your INS carrier and give him the VIN and ask for a quote (or have your mom do it). This is what I did, before I bought the car, as not to waste anybody's time. I didnt want to pay as much for INS as the car payment. I am 30, married and have 1 minor speeding in 3 years. My INS went up $75 per policy period (6 mos) over my 2001 KIA Spectra, so no big deal for me. Dont be suprised if your carrier tells your mom that they will not insure her 18 year old on this vehicle and she must sign a waiver that you will not drive or be insured on this vehicle. Either that or your INS will be outta sight. Good luck, and let us know, I am curious. My son's first car will probably be a 1983 Buick Roadmaster with the 4 cylinder option. :lol:

·
Registered
358 Posts
It seems we have got off the subjects you were asking about and started preaching on insurance. First off, congrats on the new goat! :cheers The car is awesome and you'll love it! The car does breath deep, so it doesn't like the heat and humidity to well. It also isn't the greatest from the line, due to all the spinning and wheel hop, but from a 25-30 roll you can hang with just about anything you come across on a day to day basis. That being said, I don't agree that you should be street racing with limited driving experience, take your buddies to the track when you want to crush their "fast & furious " dreams! :cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
SJAndrew said:
I'm not saying you're going to take it for granted or anything - I just think it's a LOT of power for a new driver.

Also, keep in mind: I was a straight-A honor student with a job; An extremely responsible young man who never drank or did any drugs. That being said, I did some awfully idiotic things behind the wheel of my car. With 400 HP, I would have had at least one terrible accident I think.
He's not a new driver, he said he has a Daytona. He sounds as responsible as most people on this forum, why bring him down for wanting a nice car. And being young his reflexes are probably better than most on this forum as well so all I have to say is congrats and enjoy it carefully!

·
Registered
68 Posts
to answer your original question, there's really nothing available yet for the 05 gto for hp improvement. there's an intake that gives a few extra hp, but i'm waiting for a supercharger, hopefully one that makes use of the hood scoops. i figure that since the 04 had a supercharger that added about 140hp, the 05 should be able to do something similar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm putting $14K down, with the GM thingy (-$4000 I think off of $32K), I will only have aroung $15K to pay off. The dealer said around $300 a month. Now my mom has talked to the insurance guy Don a while back, she told him that I was going to buy a new car when I turned 18, he's the one that said it will be better if I go under her car, and she go's under my new car. With that being said, I hope to god some of you guys are wronge about how much I'm going to have to pay(no pun intended). Becasue if it's anything over $350 a month I most likely will not be able to do this.

I guess we will find out tomorrow when we call him and tell him the news. I'll let you guys know what Don tells us about the insurance.

I'm not a bad driver, at all. We will see when I head up to the Racine 1/4 strip, i want to see deep 12's. I know it can be done, It just might take me a few times to get used to the thing.
Thanks for everything guys, I'll be on here a lot more often now.
-Peace

·
Registered
565 Posts
Don't worry 05GTOM6. I'm actually an 18 year old owner of an 05 goat myself. My parents decided to get it for me this Summer kind of as a way to say "We trust you - make it well in life!" (ironic in a very scary way, eh?). Anyway, I'd first off just like to say that you sound like a very responsible and reliable person for your age - I sound like I'm 40some. I know that not all kids our age are stupid and like to get out there and drive dangerously to look cool and all that jazz, but there are some of us that give hope that the world will not burn in hell when our generation is 40 :rolleyes: . Personally I know that I've loved muscle-cars ever since my dad taught me how to change the spark plugs, and the GTO has been my favorite. I can say that I would NEVER want to drive dangerously with this car for fearing of getting in a wreck and totalling my baby. The most dangerous thing I ever do with it is drag my friends from a stoplight and such, and even then I usually stop the race after we're about 10 mph over the speed limit (I have a fear of getting snagged by the cops and killing my insurance rate).

On to insurance, I'd like to say that I'm paying roughly $2k ($188/month) a year under my parents policy. We happen to have an extremely good policy and the insurance company looks warmly on the fact that I seem responsible because I haven't had any problems with the law yet, and I graduated from HS 2 years early at 16. From what I've seen on average though, an 18 y/o with a "normal" insurance policy with no benefits or dicounts of any kind with a GTO would pay at the most $400 a month. Listening to your position though I would take a stab at you hopefully paying $300 a month at most.

But anyway I'm just giving some support to 05GTOM6 because I realize that being we're 18 doesn't mean we're going to drive like maniacs like the rest of the people our age do.

Have some faith in the younger generation of the new goat owners! ;) :cheers

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.