Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am to buy my first real GTO (no clone) in a few days. It is an all original 1968, 1 owner convertible with 85K miles, original paint, interior, carpet and every mechanical part original. It has never been wrecked, been setting in garage last 20 years and has no rust at all. The engine ran when parked but it has not been started since it was parked. The interior is in great shape. It has very few options Automatic with positraction and 400CDI 350HP 4bbl. Is this car worth 13000?
Can you use your judgement to help me figure if the car is a fair, good or great deal.
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great find, I wish it was me that found it. I wouldn't hesitate to pay 15,000 if I had the chance. At 13K I would jump on it especially if its all original #'s matching. I sold my 68 gto rag top in 1998 and had regretted it ever since. Convertibles in that original condition are very rare. It might be worth leaving it just the way it is and not restoring, survivor cars are just super cool, but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you but now I see an add in Hemmings for what looks to be better. Geesh I hope its ok to show you the link if not sorry
Hemmings Motor News: Pontiac GTO Classified Listings
Any thoughts? The car I am looking to get has kept me up the past few nights with excitement now I see this. Is it possable it is a pile of junk? It's got every option I was looking for prior to finding the other

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
thank you but now I see an add in Hemmings for what looks to be better. Geesh I hope its ok to show you the link if not sorry
Hemmings Motor News: Pontiac GTO Classified Listings
Any thoughts? The car I am looking to get has kept me up the past few nights with excitement now I see this. Is it possable it is a pile of junk? It's got every option I was looking for prior to finding the other
It's impossable for us to say if it's junk or not, but if it's solid, you could change that first # in the price to a 2 or 3 and prolly get it if you hold out and find the right buyer.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
This day and age, that car is what I would call a "screamin' deal". It's unmolested and honest. I would jump all over it. '68 i9s a great year. Solid, well built, good handling, and fast. GO FOR IT! (Or tell ME where it is!)

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
IF it is as represented. AND the chassis isn't rusted out...it sounds like a real good buy...............Advise: Never go by how cars look in pictures. Go see them live! Good Luck!!!!:cheers Eric

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
I would take the Gold over Green any day but the red flag on the gold one is the drivetrian being rebuilt at ~50k. The odo may show 80 but it's most likely rolled over and started over again. Still a nice car in the pics, but they don't show detail, such as bubbles under the paint from rust coming thru. I've been down the "buy it from pictures " road 4 times and it will never happen again. If you really want it, get on a plane and go see it in person. That plane ticket is a lot cheaper than a steaming pile of crap for 16K.
And hurry, because if it is that nice for that price, it won't last long....:willy:
Are you there yet...:D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all I have spoken to the original owner several times and it is original mileage. He states no rust other the service rust like whats in the trunk pan. It is mine and I will be driving 250 miles to view it, buy it and tow it, Should I put new greese in rear wheel bearings for the 250 mile tow home? I am concerned about all the dried rubber parts and seals through out. I am excited and I did find out it has Safe t track with I guess a sorta a rare 3.36 axle raito. It was a gift for finnishing College back in 68. I am so excited I can't sleep at night.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
just make sure there is some grease in it and dont forget to take out the driveshaft. i assume you are going to put the front on a tow dolly. just take your time and be careful.

:party:

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
If you're going to tow it back, spend a little extra and rent a U-Hual car hauler....makes life much easier and no stress on the car.

I rented one for $54 a day when I picked up my 64...money well spent

Rick

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
PS:

1. Have you ordered PHS documentation to ensure the car's authenticity? Don't trust copies, order your own.

2. I spent $300 to have a professional inspect my car, he found everything....again, pennies in light of the mistakes I might have made.

It's not too late and you really should consider this, even at the "great" price, $16K is a lot of change to lose if you find out the car is a rust bucket or a clone.

Rick

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
thanks all I have spoken to the original owner several times and it is original mileage. He states no rust other the service rust like whats in the trunk pan. It is mine and I will be driving 250 miles to view it, buy it and tow it, Should I put new greese in rear wheel bearings for the 250 mile tow home? I am concerned about all the dried rubber parts and seals through out. I am excited and I did find out it has Safe t track with I guess a sorta a rare 3.36 axle raito. It was a gift for finnishing College back in 68. I am so excited I can't sleep at night.
OK, are you referring to the Green car that has been sitting ?
I'm with Koppster, use a trailer.
The rear bearings run in the lube in the axle so you would need to make sure it is full. Also Shane is right on about removing the driveshaft at the rear u-joint to prevent it spinning in the trans all that way, unlubricated. The tires are old and could blow out, how are you going to get lights on the back, if flat towing you need to repack the front bearings...etc.
I wouldn't even consider flat or dolly towing it that far.....:eek:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, are you referring to the Green car that has been sitting ?
I'm with Koppster, use a trailer.
The rear bearings run in the lube in the axle so you would need to make sure it is full. Also Shane is right on about removing the driveshaft at the rear u-joint to prevent it spinning in the trans all that way, unlubricated. The tires are old and could blow out, how are you going to get lights on the back, if flat towing you need to repack the front bearings...etc.
I wouldn't even consider flat or dolly towing it that far.....:eek:
is this this on? Is this reaching toomany projects

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This day and age, that car is what I would call a "screamin' deal". It's unmolested and honest. I would jump all over it. '68 i9s a great year. Solid, well built, good handling, and fast. GO FOR IT! (Or tell ME where it is!)
Geeteeohguy which of the two cars are you speaking of? The original Green car or the gold car with all the options? I did learn when the Green car was stored away it was 100% functional. If I get the green GTO I will trailer it.
Thanks

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
I went back and studied the Gold pictures carefully and I see what appears to be bubbles on the left front fender under the molding, and in the lower rear corner of both doors. To me, this indicates rust issues coming to the surface again. The front end doesn't look square with the car and shows light impact damage. I prefer the color and options also and if you are willing to live with the possibility of costly rust repair/panel replacement and repaint in the near future then consider it.
On the other hand, we don't have the benefit of 24 pictures of the Green one to see what it is. Getting it from the original owner is a big plus and should provide the history and verification of the mileage. It could still have the same rust issues and need repair and paint too. You could always change the color of the Green car but it could detract from the "original" value at resale time.
It's a tough call.......I would lean towards the Green car because of the originality but if you really want the options on the Gold car, it isn't that much more money. The fact that the Gold car is listed on a popular website at a very tempting price and is still available gets me wondering if others have looked at it and seen reasons to not buy it. The Green car will need a thorough update before driving it. The brakes may need work for wheel cylinder leaks and at the least a complete fluid flush. Same with the engine and transmission; all new fluids and filters. It will most likely need all new tires. The top hasn't moved in 20+ years and may fall apart after a couple cycles. There are a lot of variables and I don't see it as a car you can just get started and drive away in without making sure it is safe and roadworthy. If time and funds permit, I encourage you to go see both of them in person and make your decision based on that encounter and your gut feeling.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:agree

As usual Mitch is spot on with sage advice

One more time: Order the PHS, unless you have your own copy you can not be certain if either of the cars are true GTOs....worth the $60.....$13K is not chump change

PHS Historic Services
I have ordered and have in hand the PHS for the green car. It has the options the owner stated. I was told the car was running when it was parked and the GTO happened to be the one put in mothballs while driving 4 others. I do have pictures I didn't send you guys due to pixel sizes and am getting more today. I am told the interior is in excellent condishion. This car has Safe t track, am/ fm w/power antenna, road handeling package with stableizer shocks and springs (don't they all?), tinted glass in great shape, power bench seat with fold down arm rest, power steering and a few othe options with starting lamps and a few other lamps. 85K original miles, never wrecked and I will look at it. One the other hand the LA car is too good to be true, yes why wouldn't some local buy it, at that price many should have looked at it. I thought maybe there were pleny convertibles in Calf so the price would be lower. While writting this I am now leanig towards the green original. There is not supossed to be any rust any where and having 100% of its factiog paint sounds great. I will trailer this car back myself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts