Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. gonna get my goat in a couple weeks. Cant wait! I have a few questions. On my test drives I have been less than impressed with the stereo. I have read that this is a common complaint. I was wondering what the weak link was. I was hoping I could get away with changing out all the speakers with high end stuff, adding a quality amp, and putting in monster cable. I would really like to keep the stock deck. Could I have a great sounding system while keeping the original deck? Also, is this car equipped with a subwoofer? I would hate to take some of the already scarce trunk space with a box of some kind. Also, is there room behind the rear seats for an amp? I would love to hear what some other people have been doing with theirs.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Umbler said:
Hey guys. gonna get my goat in a couple weeks. Cant wait! I have a few questions. On my test drives I have been less than impressed with the stereo. I have read that this is a common complaint. I was wondering what the weak link was. I was hoping I could get away with changing out all the speakers with high end stuff, adding a quality amp, and putting in monster cable. I would really like to keep the stock deck. Could I have a great sounding system while keeping the original deck? Also, is this car equipped with a subwoofer? I would hate to take some of the already scarce trunk space with a box of some kind. Also, is there room behind the rear seats for an amp? I would love to hear what some other people have been doing with theirs.
Thanks
The only question I can answer for certain is on the subwoofer. The gas tank is mounted between the backseat and the trunk. I don't think a sub will sound to great coming through that.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The goat does have 2 "subwoofers", but they aren't any 10 inch subs or anything extremely strong and special like. I find that as long as you don't blast the stereo to death (which it isn't meant to be anyway) it sounds great. They really put a good quality speaker set-up in the car, it's just the lower the volume the nicer it sounds....

Like was said though, if you don't care for the stereo just turnit off and listen to the beautiful tunes of your tailpipe :D

·
Registered
937 Posts
Guys, I have posted this here before but maybe you didnt see it. If you turn off the Dynamic Distortion Limter in the DIC, set the EQ to "POP" and make sure your "Boost" isnt set past +1 the damned stereo in this car is so loud it hurts the ears. This is one of the finest stock setups I have ever had. Playing a CD up at 55~58 is crystal clear and deafening. System of a Down has never sounded so good, and the old lady can hear me coming to the house a block away when I have the windows down. Now granted it doesnt have the "boom" of some setups but what kind of music are you listening to in your goat?

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
My whole factory stereo is gone. IMO, it's about sound quality not volume. Stock was just not up to my standards. I have a flip out nav system with JL audio amps and component speakers. One hell of an install though! The car is put together remarkably well. As good as any European I've seen apart. Took all day 6a-8p! With 3 people. Note to anyone who wants to do an install: If you remove the seats(as I did) and cycle the key with the seats out, it will throw an airbag fault because the seats are part of the system and it will need to be reset at the dealer. 2 minute fix, but a hassle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.