Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i may be the first person to fry a clutch on a GTO with only 9000 miles.... man i am freaking good..... lets see what the dealer has to say to this crap! :cheers :rofl:

·
Registered
937 Posts
PhantomOctane said:
so i may be the first person to fry a clutch on a GTO with only 9000 miles.... man i am freaking good..... lets see what the dealer has to say to this crap! :cheers :rofl:
Oh man! I dont think they cover clutches! I would be interested in finding out what they want to replace one, I can see it in my future. :cheers

·
Registered
364 Posts
I thought most clutches were covered for 10k miles. I hope so because mine is scary high with only 4500 miles. I was thinking of bringing it in to check the adjustment. Let me know because I was thinking of just upgrading if not covered..goodluck.

·
Registered
937 Posts
mumrah said:
I thought most clutches were covered for 10k miles. I hope so because mine is scary high with only 4500 miles. I was thinking of bringing it in to check the adjustment. Let me know because I was thinking of just upgrading if not covered..goodluck.
Mumrah, these cars have Hydraulic clutches. They work exactly like a disk brake (in its hydraulic functions that is), the fluid takes up the slack caused by the wearing so there is no adjustment to them. My clutch only fully engages in the last 1 (maybe less!) inch of the travel but it was that way from the day I drove it off the showroom. You should have seen me driving this thing for the first few days, I looked like an a-hole. My old car's clutch was coming in only a couple inches off the floor, not to mention there is about 4 times the spring resistance on this clutch than my old one. When I went to drive my KIA to the gas station to fill it up before the lady came to look at it to buy it, I almost put the clutch pedal through the floor board. I stalled it twice, was slipping the hell out of it just trying to drive it around the block it was so damned different and I hadnt driven it in about 3 months. Crazy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My clutch is the same - fully engaged only in the last 1" of travel.

TBH, it caused me to ride it a little too much when I first got it.

All this being said, a clutch replacement (even if you're stuck paying it all yourself) shouldn't be ridiculously expensive. I would guess in the $800 range (depending on what, if anything, needs to be done to the pressure plate/flywheel).

·
Registered
7 Posts
hydraulic clutches are totally adjustable. You just spin the rod that goes into the master cylinder. The farther into the cylinder the rod goes, the lower the engagement point.

Oh and it's not a good thing to fry a clutch in 9000 miles. Either it was defective, or you arn't as skilled with a mantran as you should be.

Or you could just be putting lots of "hard use" on the clutch. I'd look more towards your driving style though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well if they dont replace it under warranty it will either be getttin a Z-06 clutch or a Centerforce II clutch!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thrillhouse said:
hydraulic clutches are totally adjustable. You just spin the rod that goes into the master cylinder. The farther into the cylinder the rod goes, the lower the engagement point.

Oh and it's not a good thing to fry a clutch in 9000 miles. Either it was defective, or you arn't as skilled with a mantran as you should be.

Or you could just be putting lots of "hard use" on the clutch. I'd look more towards your driving style though.
Well, just to be clear on this....You are not "adjusting" the clutch in the classic sense. Non-hydraulic clutch setups require adjustment as the clutch plate wears. Hydraulic clutch's do not require any adjustment as they wear. You are referring to an "asthetic" adjustment which is very interesting, and I was unaware that could be changed. Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try changing the fluid. Mine used to slip at the track. Changed the fluid to Motul and its been fine ever since. Just gravity bleed it but make sure you keep fluid in the resevoir or you'll put air in the line.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Don't worry, you're not the only one to fry the clutch...... mods + sticky tires + clutch dumps + tsb on the clutch bolts being loose = destroyed clutch!!!! I changed to a Centerforce Dual Friction with the SLP lightned flywheel and I love it! :cheers

·
Registered
590 Posts
PhantomOctane said:
well if they dont replace it under warranty it will either be getttin a Z-06 clutch or a Centerforce II clutch!
I was told that the GTO oem clutch is same as ZO6 oem, but have no confirmation of that.

I got 20k on oem clutch, and PLENTY of hard launches and hard 1-2, 2-3 shifts.

Then, I put cam package in with / tune, and I can say that the power the engine is putting out, puts the clutch and shifter at their limits. Still launches great, hooks well on the D/R's :rofl:

·
Registered
364 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
Mumrah, these cars have Hydraulic clutches. They work exactly like a disk brake (in its hydraulic functions that is), the fluid takes up the slack caused by the wearing so there is no adjustment to them. My clutch only fully engages in the last 1 (maybe less!) inch of the travel but it was that way from the day I drove it off the showroom. You should have seen me driving this thing for the first few days, I looked like an a-hole. My old car's clutch was coming in only a couple inches off the floor, not to mention there is about 4 times the spring resistance on this clutch than my old one. When I went to drive my KIA to the gas station to fill it up before the lady came to look at it to buy it, I almost put the clutch pedal through the floor board. I stalled it twice, was slipping the hell out of it just trying to drive it around the block it was so damned different and I hadnt driven it in about 3 months. Crazy.
Thanks for the info. I didn't think I was that bad on my clutch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well here is the update to the story..... i fried the clutch on friday...... go to the dealer today and look at it......... the clutch plate and the flywheel are both warped to ****....... so the dealer ordered a new flywheel, clutch plate, bearings and other crap..... ALL UNDER WARRANTY...... FREE OF CHARGE.... now they dont make these parts yet so they had to call the factory and have them send them from there..... man oh man.... i created a first!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.