Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran up on C5ZO6 stock 2003.The Z has the weight and gear advantage on me but I ran well.Each time from a roll he pulled me a little because of my crappy reaction time. Once we took off even it was a differant story.I held him off in first and second gear and I was out on him by a nose then by third gear I had him by a car.My vette has only some bolt ons like headers cai and a tune so the HP output is about the same but the Z weighs about 150 to 200Lbs lighter and the 6 speed trans is geared a little lower.I think a small cam would get me where i want to be.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Ran up on C5ZO6 stock 2003.The Z has the weight and gear advantage on me but I ran well.Each time from a roll he pulled me a little because of my crappy reaction time. Once we took off even it was a differant story.I held him off in first and second gear and I was out on him by a nose then by third gear I had him by a car.My vette has only some bolt ons like headers cai and a tune so the HP output is about the same but the Z weighs about 150 to 200Lbs lighter and the 6 speed trans is geared a little lower.I think a small cam would get me where i want to be.
Nice runs.

My car has an intake and a tune and it's in the mid 360's to the wheels. I'm running high 11's with it when I put the stickies on, but with street tires it runs 12.0-12.2. I gained a full half second with the tune and intake. We didn't do a dyno but he said that most of the time the C5 Z06's hit upper 330's to mid 340's on his dyno stock. Funny thing is the mph didn't change very much. I was in the high 116 to low 118 range and now I'm pretty solid high 118 low 119. So I might have only gained 1.5 mph but it goes down the track quicker time wise. A good guess is the tune and intake got me 20-25 hp.

The weight is worth about 2 tenths and the 10 hp I have on you might be another 10th so figure from a stop all things being equal I'd be about 2-3 cars on you by 115-120. Pretty darn close. One little mistake and it turns out differently.

I think a cam, even a small one puts you well past a lightly modded C5 Z06. Heads and cam puts you in the hunt for a C6 Z06.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MY C5 Vette was never dynoed bone stock,but with a cai,catback and a dyno tune I was at 330 to the wheels.After the LT headers and a retune I am at 357 to the wheels.I am pretty happy about it's performance and I know a cam would take me where I really want to be.About $2000. should do it but i don't want the drivability of the car to be effected.To be realistic I think I could get 30 hp out of a small cam.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good race but sounds like you beat the driver?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes,I did beat the driver even thou the Z should be able to beat me with the weight and trans gearing to his advantage.My Vette does come on strong in third gear thats when the LT headers take over.If I can stay with the other car in first and second then the race is over once I slam third.I am a pretty good driver and a lot of times skill wins.One time a new BMW pulls up to me and the guy said it had a 500 hp V10 in it,I knew this car would waste me off the line,it had the triptronic trans with the paddle shifters.I had a good launch and had him out of the hole by a fender in first and second,I hit the rev limiter at the top of second gear and he got me.The guy in the Bemmer didn't believe that my Vette had only boltons.This time the Vette had the weight advantage,too bad I missed third.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
The Z06 has a 3.42 gear, compared to the stock C-5 2.76 or 3.15. The 6 speed should be the same. You should take it to the strip, get your real numbers and post them. You miss a gear at the strip and you lose a 1/2 second, game over. At the strip, if you are off by a .10th of a second, you kick yourself in the ass as you screwed up. Z06s and Vipers will fry the tires on the lauch, so without a burnout they are fair game, get ithem to hook it's another story.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Good race but sounds like you beat the driver?
Isn't that the way its allways is?;)

Come on Deuuuce you know better than that, when does the car ever get paid or get the trophie winning anytype of race:lol: The credit allways goes to the driver.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Z06 and a regular Vette if they have a 6 speed, both have a 3.42 gear.The differance is that the ZO6 has lower gears in the trans.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
A Z06 and a regular Vette if they have a 6 speed, both have a 3.42 gear.The differance is that the ZO6 has lower gears in the trans.
I don't think so, but you may be right. I worked at a Vette parts warehouse and many bought the Z06 rear for the 3.42 gear. Trans gears are only going to pick up first gear, and that would make it a wide ratio tranny, which would have more RPM drop between gears, which isn't faster.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
The Z06 has a 3.42 gear, compared to the stock C-5 2.76 or 3.15. The 6 speed should be the same. You should take it to the strip, get your real numbers and post them. You miss a gear at the strip and you lose a 1/2 second, game over. At the strip, if you are off by a .10th of a second, you kick yourself in the ass as you screwed up. Z06s and Vipers will fry the tires on the lauch, so without a burnout they are fair game, get ithem to hook it's another story.
I don't think so, but you may be right. I worked at a Vette parts warehouse and many bought the Z06 rear for the 3.42 gear. Trans gears are only going to pick up first gear, and that would make it a wide ratio tranny, which would have more RPM drop between gears, which isn't faster.
The Vette had the MM6 and the M12 for 6 speeds. 2.73, 3.15 and 3.42 was available for the vett. 3.42 was standard for the manualy shifted cars, 2.73 was standard for the auto cars and 3.15 was the optional gearing for automatics, maybe the Z51:confused

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes,I did beat the driver even thou the Z should be able to beat me with the weight and trans gearing to his advantage.My Vette does come on strong in third gear thats when the LT headers take over.If I can stay with the other car in first and second then the race is over once I slam third.I am a pretty good driver and a lot of times skill wins.One time a new BMW pulls up to me and the guy said it had a 500 hp V10 in it,I knew this car would waste me off the line,it had the triptronic trans with the paddle shifters.I had a good launch and had him out of the hole by a fender in first and second,I hit the rev limiter at the top of second gear and he got me.The guy in the Bemmer didn't believe that my Vette had only boltons.This time the Vette had the weight advantage,too bad I missed third.
LT header advantage - that can be easily negated by a car with a strong 3rd gear, i.e. 03/04 Cobra.

BMW M5s are not known for hole shots. And it's an SMG, not a Tiptronic which is an automatic. Even if you hadn't missed 3rd, he would have caught you and passed you.

Isn't that the way its allways is?;)

Come on Deuuuce you know better than that, when does the car ever get paid or get the trophie winning anytype of race:lol: The credit allways goes to the driver.
It's called a Manufacturer's Trophy in multiple race series. NASCAR is hardly a driver's race either.

Trans gears are only going to pick up first gear, and that would make it a wide ratio tranny, which would have more RPM drop between gears, which isn't faster.
No, all the gear ratios can changed, not just first gear. Just like the Z-51 package, the ZR1 close ratio gearbox, etc.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
No, all the gear ratios can changed, not just first gear. Just like the Z-51 package, the ZR1 close ratio gearbox, etc.
Right, but the lower ratio first gear will make the car launch harder, but loses the close ratio, and does change the remaining gears ratio based on the first gear.
I didn't know all 6 speeds had 3.42s, they should be alot faster than autos, even the non z06 cars. Mine has the 3.15 gear option and is auto.
Interesting stuff.

So, what is the top end difference between an auto and standard, or does the standard have a bigger OD to make up for the gear?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Right, but the lower ratio first gear will make the car launch harder, but loses the close ratio, and does change the remaining gears ratio based on the first gear.
I didn't know all 6 speeds had 3.42s, they should be alot faster than autos, even the non z06 cars. Mine has the 3.15 gear option and is auto.
Interesting stuff.

So, what is the top end difference between an auto and standard, or does the standard have a bigger OD to make up for the gear?
You have to remember the rear gearing has nothing to do with the transmission it will allways be close ratio. It has to do how the car responds to that gearing what being multiplied from the transmission to the ground.

The only transmission I've seen was the 700R4, 4L60's trannies with a 3.06 first and a 2.xx something second, that had a big RPM drop. If you have a narrow power band it hurts. But with the LSx motors with a wide power band not so much.

I will pull up the gearing for each trans for you later.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
The Vette had the MM6 and the M12 for 6 speeds. 2.73, 3.15 and 3.42 was available for the vett. 3.42 was standard for the manualy shifted cars, 2.73 was standard for the auto cars and 3.15 was the optional gearing for automatics, maybe the Z51:confused
Exactly right.

All 6M cars have the 3.42 rear gears. All Z51 A4's have the 3.15. If you have the base car with the A4 and the performance axle option it has 3.15 and the base A4 is 2.73. There is a big difference between the A4 2.73 and 3.15 cars. The 3.15 wil run a 13.2-13.3 1/4 mile while the 2.73's seem to run 13.5-13.6. All A4's suffer from torque management issues due to a weak transaxle design.

The difference that LT is talking about is the MM6 on his car versus the M12 on the Z06. The GTO also got the M12.

The M12 is 2.97 1st/ 2.07 2nd/ 1.43 3rd/ 1.0 4th/ .80 5th/ .57 6th
The MM6 is 2.66 1st/ 1.78 2nd/ 1.30 3rd/ 1.0 4th/ .70 5th/ .50 6th

The M12 also has slightly stronger internals and is rated for more torque.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The regular Vette w/ 6speed has a 2.66 first gear,1.78 2nd 1.30 3rd gear. The ZO6 has a2.97 first gear, 2.07 2nd and a1.43 3rd gear. I just got that from some buddies on the Corvette forum,so there is slight differances in trans gearing between a regular and ZO6 Vette.The rear gearing is the same on both.3.42 on manual cars.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
The other thing I forgot to add is the M12 has perfect ratios for the LS2 and LS6 motors with the hp peak of 6000 and a flat power curve to 6500. At 6500 rpms the shift makes the rpms drop to 4600-4800 everytime and that happens to be right at the torque peak. It's a little off for the LS1 but still pretty darn close to perfect.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Exactly right.

All 6M cars have the 3.42 rear gears. All Z51 A4's have the 3.15. If you have the base car with the A4 and the performance axle option it has 3.15 and the base A4 is 2.73. There is a big difference between the A4 2.73 and 3.15 cars. The 3.15 wil run a 13.2-13.3 1/4 mile while the 2.73's seem to run 13.5-13.6. All A4's suffer from torque management issues due to a weak transaxle design.

The difference that LT is talking about is the MM6 on his car versus the M12 on the Z06. The GTO also got the M12.

The M12 is 2.97 1st/ 2.07 2nd/ 1.43 3rd/ 1.0 4th/ .80 5th/ .57 6th
The MM6 is 2.66 1st/ 1.78 2nd/ 1.30 3rd/ 1.0 4th/ .70 5th/ .50 6th

The M12 also has slightly stronger internals and is rated for more torque.
Yes,
And the A4 ratio was: 1st: 3.06, 2nd: 1.62, 3rd: 1.00, 4th: .70

1 - 18 of 18 Posts