Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
depends on transmission, driver, available traction. All things being equal, the GTO would probably barely edge the C5 out. BUT, if you compare the C5 Z06 to a GTO, the goat will go home wimpering.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
There are several powtrain options for the C5. These comparisons are based on two assumptions, bone stock cars in cluding tires and equal drivers.

1) C5 prior to 2001 without the LS6 intake. IMO would lose with any transmission/gear combo offered. The 6m with 3.42 would be close. I've seen 13.3 at the track for these.

2) C5 2001-2004
A) auto with 2.73 gears would lose. 13.5-13.4 in the 1/4
B) auto with 3.15 gears would be within 2 tenths. 13.3- 13.1 in the 1/4
C) 6m with 3.42 gears would be a drivers race. 13.0- 13.1 in the 1/4

I'm basing this off of what I have watched at the dragstrip, and what I have run with my GTO. I'm figuring 13.0 for the GTO, even though I had a 12.895, and a couple others have gotten into the 12's stock. I don't think 12's stock for the GTO are an all the time occurance on a stock car, although 13.0x is fairly easy to achieve. Ditto for the C5, Some guys have gotten 12's, but the majority are stuck at low 13's unless they modify it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That is a drivers race. But I personally have taken one of my fellow employees every time. I would say we have raced 15 to 20 times and he has never beaten me. As a matter of fact I am the sole reason he is modding his car. :rofl:

G

·
what burrito also has to remember is that the GTO has 400hp, the vette has 350. That 50hp difference is enough to compensate for the added weight of the goat, but the vette dont have the weight transfer/wheelhop problem the gto does.

I dunno, it might be a good race to watch!

·
Registered
126 Posts
And then the GTO owner has to add 1 simple mod, a blower LOL!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I knew you were gonna bring up the price :).
I dunno how fast the vette would be when adding a converter? So I dont know, maybe add nos and good set of tires for 1k??? I think that might be over 1k though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
damn thats pretty quick. But it the same sense the guy that bought the vette is already over by what 20k from the GTO price. its all reletive I guess.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
djray77 said:
damn thats pretty quick. But it the same sense the guy that bought the vette is already over by what 20k from the GTO price.
If we are talking new they yead that is a good point. But that would be a unfair comparison.

If we are talking about used c5's. a good one is about the same price as a GTO.

But we have back seats :rofl:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Gotta love the back seats, My kids child seat fits perfect back there with tons of room lol!

·
Registered
126 Posts
yeah they do but I think of it as added traction :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.