Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
you don't lose a few hp you lose a lot with all of them. they get their claimed HP on a dyno. in real world IATs eat up the stated gains except at highway speeds. in stop-n-go or on the strip they don't work. log your IATs. you'll see what i mean...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
svede1212 said:
you don't lose a few hp you lose a lot with all of them. they get their claimed HP on a dyno. in real world IATs eat up the stated gains except at highway speeds. in stop-n-go or on the strip they don't work. log your IATs. you'll see what i mean...
Svede1212, when you say 'they', are you talking about Fran or all CAI manufactures in general?

The reason I ask, is that I have read here, some think you get no real benefit from the CAI install at all, over the standard setup with a good dropin.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
ridgegoat said:
Svede1212, when you say 'they', are you talking about Fran or all CAI manufactures in general?

The reason I ask, is that I have read here, some think you get no real benefit from the CAI install at all, over the standard setup with a good dropin.
IMHO you get minimal benefit under real world driving conditions, not what you see posted about dyno gains. IATs eat up the ponies when driving except when continuously moving. measured IATs at the track or stop-n-go traffic show loses from pulled timing. read all the posts how their car feels doggy in the summer heat. that's high IATs. with a good intake (read homemade, at least for now) you can get IATs within less than 10* of ambient. stock tune starts pulling timing at 86*. you can tune some of that out by altering the tables but then you can run into spark knock if you tweak it too much. it's better to get the coolest air possible. some of the seat-of-the-pants gains of "C"AIs are due to the noise factor of the intake. it's kind of like feeling you're going a lot faster with a fartcan muffler on your Accord.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.