Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the most 'bang for my buck' on a CAI. I've looked at K&N, Lingenfelter (sp?) and Injen. There all about $200-$300. Any suggestions? I put one on my 2000 SS Camaro and couldn't believe the difference.
THANKS in advance!!

·
Registered
910 Posts
This subject has been discussed many times. My question to all is this:
The amount of air that is allegedly coming in by way of the hdlmp is marginal at best. Unless there is fabrication involved ( 5" hole saw in fender apron) what benefits are we actually gaining . Dont get me wrong, I have a K&N in my car. But I truly beleive that the gain from it is minimal due to a lack of incoming fresh air. If you look at the hdlmp, where it sits , where exactly is this fresh air coming from? The hdlmp is butted against the front bumper cover, with a very tiny space between the two. That is hardly a source for fresh air.

·
Registered
170 Posts
As far as CAI's go, everyone has their opinions, and each has their dyno numbers, all I can say is that my K&N that I got from GTODEALER is awesome. I could tell the difference, and hearing the air being sucked in (in a whistle) is awesome! I'll recommend the K&N, but its purely personal preference!

Dave

·
Registered
418 Posts
Air actually comes in from gap bewtween lamps and hood.
Thats why there is an opening there in the stock radiator cover..
I bought a used speed inc tube for $75 and hooked it to the stock
filter. .I just opened up the hole
where the air comes in and it seems to work well.
I dont think any CAI is worth it..
But what do I know?
Its not like my car is that fast..

Picture of what I did:

·
Registered
202 Posts
GTODEALER said:
Smartass..... :lol:
That tube looks familiar......:D

I must say that I am pretty impressed with my New Era CAI, works pretty good for me. Looks awesome IMO!

·
Registered
202 Posts
StangStalker said:
probably would have been easier if i did it in the daylight though.
Ditto, the new era sucked to install at night!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Take a look under the "racing and kills" forum, then find Smitty's05GTO posting called "Another personal best!! [email protected]". He has a Volant CAI on his that looks pretty good. Unfortunately www.volantperformance.com web site sux and does not give any details about their product (that I can find anywhere). They do not list one for a GTO (so, it may be customized). Smitty...if you see this, can you provide details or if someone else knows anything about the Volant? Thanks.

Here is a link. look at the photos.

http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=6765

·
Registered
194 Posts
Russ2005 said:
Take a look under the "racing and kills" forum, then find Smitty's05GTO posting called "Another personal best!! [email protected]". He has a Volant CAI on his that looks good. I don't know anything about it yet and on their site they do not list one for a GTO (so, it may be customized). Smitty...if you see this, can you provide details or if someone else knows anything about the Volant. Thanks.

Here is a link. look at the photos.

http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=6765
:seeya: You can get the Volant CAI here: http://tbyrne.com/

·
Registered
305 Posts
My K&N is due to arrive tomorrow. Will be installing this weekend so maybe by Monday I can speak intelligently on this topic.

HTRDLNCN - You've posted that pic before and I think of your "Its not like my car is that fast.." comment EVERY time I look at that intake hole in my radiator cover. You crack me up man. I've thought about butchering mine for performance-over-appearance but just can't bring myself to do it.

G

·
Groucho is right.

FWIW, most CAIs on the market are not truly "Cold Air" intakes. Increasing the density of the air is the mark of a true CAI, and the only way that most of the market do this is by offering an intake tube which has less heat soak than the stock one.

The other thing they do is offer a less restrictive air filter, but watch out, because (K&Ns for instance) some are known to let in bigger particles of dirt/etc. than are truly acceptable for long engine life.

Now, for those of us that are hard on our engines, I truly doubt that the death of them will be particles of dirt ;) but I thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The CAI I had on the Prix was a true "CAI".
http://easyperformance.com/CAI/CAI_Frameset.html

It does a really good job at sealing the intake from the engine bay. And on the FI 3.8, it does help a good bit (especially when other mods are performed). Of course not all cars really benefit from one, unlike what ricers believe (with their hot air intakes), but it does benefit a modded GTP.

I'm going to wait on one for the Goat, to see how much, if any, true benefit they provide, and which one provides the most.

·
Registered
15 Posts
http://trucks.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/21-8020D_2005_Pontiac-GTO.pdf

check out that link. According to their dyno, AEM states that their Cold Air Intake (Brute Force) is giving approximately 14hp to the rear wheels. Thats not a bad amount.

There is a company out there called Custom Performance Engineering. They have made MAFci intake kits for a few of the midsize import cars such as the Mazda6 and the Altima SE-R. The horses they gain for the Mazda6 which I have is 22hp which is insane. They might be interested in developing something if they have a donor car...and I guess there has to be a certain guage of interest built up also, but their intake systems are awesome, and well, the one for my Mazda6 was $540.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.