Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright whats the deal with my times. I heard that a lot of people were getting in the low 13's and even some high 12's.

Im from Orlando FL and go to Bithlo. Its pretty warm some days.

Well my question to you guys is what are some tricks to getting in the 13's.

There was one guy at the track that had a supercharger on his Goat and he ran a mid 12.

I was thinking that maybe I should try to launch in 2nd gear would this help, because I was launching in 1st. And I never really got ready for the strip because it was my first time there, but still a 400 hp car that claims to run low 13's and I only got as low as 14.100 in the 1/4 mi.

I must not be doing to many things wrong because I did beat a GT mustang by over a second. And a automatic GTO barely (best race of the night). And I smoked a S2000.

I love my car but I wanna get it in the 13's like everybody else is doing, so please any advise would be good.:confused

·
Registered
25 Posts
Most people get good launches at about 2700 RPM's in first. How about ur shifting? At what point are you shifting? All these things come in to play, also, have someone ride in ur car (not at the strip of course) and time your shifts, improving on that can help ALOT

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Hey, another Orlando guy here. If it's above 80 you need to do everything perfect to get mid 13's. The LS2 hates heat and humidity. I've got a 12.895 at Speedworld, but it was in the low 60's and dry when I did that.

Try these things. Pull your fuel rail covers off. They hold tons off heat. Pull the engine hood plugs to release more heat. Always let the car sit for 45 minutes or more between runs. Leave the hood up. Drill two large holes at the front of your airbox too allow more air to enter. Make sure you have a clean air filter. Typically I have a clean air filter in the trunk that I install at the track then take out when I'm done running. When I get to the point I want to change the air filter I throw the almost new one from the trunk in and put a fresh one in the trunk. Pump the front tires up to 45 and lower the backs to 25. Run your heater while you are in the staging lanes to get as much heat out of the engine as you can. I always start the engine move up a couple spots and turn it off but leave the heater blowing hot air.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Most people get good launches at about 2700 RPM's in first.

Hey guys, I'm from T-ville, went to Bithlo once and ran 14's also. I found out the hard way you can't launch at 2000 rpm or more the car spun and spun then I snatched 2nd and the bitch spun all the way around (headed for the bleachers).:confused I had to stop and turn it towards the finish line and start again.:eek: One of the kids there said to launch between 1200-1500 and things will workout better.:rolleyes: All I know is, that track sucks and they don't prep. the damn thing, super hard to hookup.:eek:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Im in Florida and I have never heard of Bithlo!
Where is that?

You have a lot of things going against you.
1. the 6 speeds take alot of practice to launch right.
2.this year has been hotter than average and the GTOs hate heat
3. sounds like that track does no prep making it even harder to get the time.

First time at the track with my car ( 2004 auto) I ran 13.8 last july in mid 80s temps with no practice however there were two six speed GTOs ( one 04 one 05) , one was running mid 14s, one was running low 15s!!! Six speeds just take a whole lot more practice to get them going. Autos are just punch and go..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ive never really got my car ready for the runs like adjusting the tires and every time I went I had over half of tank so that didnt help. My launches were alright and shifting is pretty good so that probably not the major problem. But I would get my first run and I would hook up really good but after that I would usually break lose.

So for now Ill try the air pressure in the tires and see what I can get out of the goat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HTRDLNCN said:
Im in Florida and I have never heard of Bithlo!
Where is that?

You have a lot of things going against you.
1. the 6 speeds take alot of practice to launch right.
2.this year has been hotter than average and the GTOs hate heat
3. sounds like that track does no prep making it even harder to get the time.

First time at the track with my car ( 2004 auto) I ran 13.8 last july in mid 80s temps with no practice however there were two six speed GTOs ( one 04 one 05) , one was running mid 14s, one was running low 15s!!! Six speeds just take a whole lot more practice to get them going. Autos are just punch and go..
Its called Speedworld in Bithlo

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Bithlo is the town where Orlando Speedworld is located. They resurfaced the launch area this year and that has helped a lot. They had a lot of broken axles last year from the bumps. The prep is hit and miss. They'll prep it good one night and then the next 2 or 3 nights do nothing. When they do decide to prep it they go overboard so you get really great times. I cut a 1.67 60' in my 02 Z06 there on just DR's. I also a couple weeks later couldn't get lower than a 2.0X 60' with the same set-up.

I found that I got my best launches from a low of 1500 to a high of 2500, again depending on track prep. If you get to the track early you can watch them prep it and walk it afterwards to see how good they did. Most of the time I used a 1700-2000 rpm launch with a fairly quick release, feathering the throttle in to keep the tire slightly breaking traction. It takes a lot of practice on these cars due to skinny tires, soft suspension set-up and tons of torque down low.

Practice is what it takes to go fast. When I start to get serious about a car I usually will make a trip the strip everytime they run a test and tune for several months. I pick one aspect of the run and focus only on that aspect till I get it perfect. First is the 60' which is the most important part. After I get my launch right, which takes 20-25 passes, I focus on the 1-2 shift. That usually takes 3-5 passes, and I put it together with the great 60'. Then I focus on the 2-3 shift which usually takes 5 or so passes to get perfect. Then I focus on 2 things with my last part which is 3-4 shifts and keeping the car as straight as possible. After that many passes it's almost second nature to just do it right. You get to the track, walk it for prep so you have an idea what RPM to launch from, make a pass and adjust from the numbers you see.

It's a lot of work, but the fun comes when you are at the track with 5-8 other GTO's that are similar to yours and they run a half second or more slower than you. Then you get the guy in the Mustang GT that's been supercharged and is bragging that GTO's can't get within a second of him and he beats you by a tenth, or you beat him.

·
Registered
479 Posts
How are you getting times like that? My best run was in the 1/8th was 8.89 with a 60' of 2.09 which chould be around a 13.95 in the 1/4. That is the best I have done and that is with k&n intake and jba shorties.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
socal gto said:
How are you getting times like that? My best run was in the 1/8th was 8.89 with a 60' of 2.09 which chould be around a 13.95 in the 1/4. That is the best I have done and that is with k&n intake and jba shorties.
if you are replying to me, i had CAI and Magnaflow exhuast catback when i made those runs with about 1/2 tank of gas. i scale in at 3720 lbs

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm in the same boat I guess. I took my completely stock 06 a4 to the Silver Dollar in Reynolds Ga. and ran a 14.3 in the 1/4 twice. I was running against an 05 m6 and he had a few minor mods, such as B&M Shifter, skip-shift elim, lighter skid plate, and cold air intake and his best run was a 13.7. That run came towards the end of the night when the temperature dropped into the upper 70's. My car never reached over 99 mph. My 1/8 mile time was a 9.1 on average. I don't remeber the 60 ft time but the car launches great at 1800 rpm and spins like a top at 2500 rpm. That other guy ran about eight passes that night and broke into the 13's only once. Mostly he ran low 14's, just like me. Of course now that I have a baseline I won't run until I change my T/C, and add headers.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
2005Goat said:
Orlando Speedworld has to be one of the worst prepared tracks on the east coast. They didn't even prep when Pinks was taping there. I've been there twice and don't think I'll go back.

They prep every once in a while, but mostly it's horrible. I live close to Orlando, but make the drive to Gainesville most of the time. When they do prep it the really go overboard. People break stuff because they are adjusted to the track not being preped.

Lots of idiots there too. I seen guys do burnouts in the staging lanes and not get blackflagged. People rub up against your car if you don't watch and there are a lot more rude people too.

It's the fast and the furious crowd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.