Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As ya'll know, I have spent the last year trying to define, clarify, and simplify the automatic to manual conversion process, for the Pontiac GTO community.

One of the more persistent stumbling blocks is the hydraulic clutch setup, and more specifically, the mystical differences between GM A Body pedal assemblies.

I have found and reported here that many of the pedal assemblies, which are advertised and marketed as GTO compatible, are not. Furthermore, aside from Chevelle pedals not working in a GTO, there's a critical and distinct difference between years. TO MY KNOWLEDGE 64-66 use one pedal assembly, 67 is stand-alone unique,and 68 up use another.

I NEED TO KNOW IF THAT"S TRUE? And... I ALSO NEED TO KNOW IF BUICK and OLDS are the same as Pontiac, and not like the Chevelle.

During my studies and experiments, I had the pleasure of meeting Cherie Westrich, of Overhaulin with Chip Foose (builder, racer, owner of Malwood USA).

I told her about all of the misinformation on the internet, regarding hydraulic clutch conversions in A body cars, and the shortage of suitable units, specifically for the Pontiac GTO. Cherie told me that she was working on a unit, specifically to solve that problem, and that I should stay tuned.

Well, she kept her word, the unit is done, and she called me last night to discuss it. She's in the process of updating the Malwood website to include the Pontiac GTO, Self Contained, Hydraulic Clutch Pedal assembly, and she's concerned about the accuracy of their description, for the above discoveries that I mentioned.

So... I think it's awesome that in this day and age of the wildly popular Tremec conversions, that someone is looking out for the GTO community. AND... In this day and age where companies have ALL completely abandoned thier commitments to quality control and customer service, I think it's even more awesome that someone is so passionate about the car community, that they sacrifice their personal time in order to ensure happy customers and trouble-free installations.

All this being said, if you're looking to update your Muncie or to do a Tremec conversion, the Malwood setup is the only way to go. This is your opportunity to help the GTO community, to get better aftermarket parts and support.

If you have any knowledge of the BOP pedal assemblies and thier year specifics, please report back here so that we can get these pedals up for sale, ASAP!

And check out Malwoods website and Cheries exploits, here...

·
Registered
1967 400ci/TH400
219 Posts
I've spent my allowance this month - need to install CVF serpentine belt system which will require an updated 11 bolt water pump, timing cover, and 4 bolt harmonic balancer, need to replace my valley pan gasket, and change out the passenger side exhaust manifold as the heat riser valve is corroded and frozen in place. Actually, i added a Gear Vendor OD to my TH400 and am pretty happy with it. Nice to cruise at 70mph and only turn 2400 RPMs!

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping to get some feedback from our parts experts, but this thread seemed to fly below the radar.

As far as I can tell 64-66 GTO use one pedal, 67 uses another, and then 68 and up use another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts