Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I had my block mic'd and honed and new cam bearings installed. I put the old cam in just to check fit (oiled everything well first) and it fit pretty tight on two of the bearings. I don't think it's a alignment thing. The first two bearings just seem tight. By tight I mean I put a torque wrench on it and it took about 20 lbs to turn it. I was advised to use some fine emory cloth on the bearings to gain more clearance. Is this a good idea? I am worried I could get some of the particles in the oiling paths. Thanks,

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
DON'T emory cloth or sand/dress down the bearings. They might be installed incorrectly or slightly crushed. Have the shop that did the work re-do the bearings. This is not a place to "wing it". JMHO...........

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
:agree :agree
It'd be a good idea to let the shop that installs the bearings also have the cam you're going to run. When you return to pick up the block, don't accept it until you've checked to make sure the cam spins freely yourself.

Bear

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This worked out just as planned. They had to "ream" a couple of the bearings a little and it is now much better. Put the cam in, make a few adjustments, repeat step one, etc. No charge even. Thanks for the recomendations

1 - 7 of 7 Posts