Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Goats finally in the shop getting tires and a good front end alignment.(I hope)
OK, i get the idea when it comes to adjusting caster, that's the shims on the upper control arm.......but is caster adjustable on my 67?
There's just a big bolt holding the upper control arm.....
thank as always

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
Yep, it's done with those same shims. Add or remove shims to both bolts on the control arm shaft to pull the top of it in or push it out to set camber, add or remove shims to just one side (or simultaneously add to one bolt and remove from the other) to "tilt" the upper ball joint towards the front or towards the rear to set caster.

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
"Caster, Camber, Toe, in that order. Like Mister GFR said, all adjustable. As a note, I like to go with more caster than specified, with radial tires on these cars. Better stability, and better wheel return. Picture forks on a bicycle: a chopper has a ton of positive camber, and a bike with its handlebars flipped backwards is a ton of negative camber....It's all about where the upper ball joint is in relation to the lower ball joint: behind, even with, or in front of.

·
Registered
417 Posts
And if yours is currently off any significant amount, it will make a huge difference with driveability. Buddy of mine works on an alignment rack and recently did my 66. Caster was way off, and toe was out (which causes some "twitching" when driving straight). 100% better afterwards...

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
What was I thinking...Crap, I meant CASTER!! Oh well......If you want to see what a ton of caster on a car looks like, pay attention to the Mercedes commercials that show the car moving/turning. You can actually see the tilt of the spindle axis....they run about 10 degrees caster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts