Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Received my fuel pump eccentric yesterday and check for visible and feel end play of camshaft and nothing. pretty snug with eccentric bolted up and cam bolt snug. No, the cam plug isn't installed too far and when the cam gear is off I can move the cam back and fourth. The thickness is .127 and I bought it from Spotts Performance and the tchain set is rollmaster CS7050. No lifter or valvetrain is installed. Thinking my thrust plate is too big and might need to shave it down. Flat tappet cam installed.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Received my fuel pump eccentric yesterday and check for visible and feel end play of camshaft and nothing. pretty snug with eccentric bolted up and cam bolt snug. No, the cam plug isn't installed too far and when the cam gear is off I can move the cam back and fourth. The thickness is .127 and I bought it from Spotts Performance and the tchain set is rollmaster CS7050. No lifter or valvetrain is installed. Thinking my thrust plate is too big and might need to shave it down. Flat tappet cam installed.
Never set cam play as I used stock parts. But, from what I have read, the factory thrust plate is .124" making yours a little thicker. You want .003-.007" of clearance. Several factors come into play to include the aftermarket cam sprockets. One thing the assorted posts noted that the cam snout should stick out slightly past the cam sprocket.

If you feel you assembled it correctly, making sure the cam eccentric is installed correctly (read that it can be installed wrong?), than you will need a thinnner thrust plate. You can purchase one that is thinner, or have yours milled down to the thickness you need. (y)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cam snout does stick out past the gear. I did try sanding milling the plate down on some sand paper and wd40 but this will take forever! Thank you Butler performance the plate will be here tomorrow!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts