Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
enjracing said:
will a diablo or other performance tune help with MPG? i would think that it would as the a/f mixture is leaned. what have people discovered with that?
:confused

I gotta ask.

There seems to be a lot of threads here reflecting your concern over the fuel efficiency of our cars and the fretting over the higher price of the premium fuel it requires.

When you purchased your car, you knew you were buying a 3725 lb car powered by a 400 hp pushrod V-8 engine, right?

If one's primary concern is the number of miles you can squeeze out of a gallon of cheap gas, isn't this somewhat like obsessing over the best way to get a sheet of plywood in a Porsche Carrera S?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to say I tend to agree. I'll bitch to some friends jokingly from time to time, especially the girlfriend who drives a Z3 with a 12 gallon tank that last longer than my 18 gallon tank :p

Gas prices suck, low gas mileage sucks. But I'll be damned if it isnt worth it having one of the nicest cars on the road :)

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
I think you guys are missing his point. I don't think he's worried, bitching or complaining about having a pig of a car with a big engine that gobbles fuel. He just want to know if a tune will improve on the gas mileage which really isn't too bad for a car with the weight and power that it has. Since our cars run rich, which in a sense is wasting fuel, you should get better fuel mileage once it's leaned out a tad. How much better? Not much probably. But anything is better than nothing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Except for the fact that he has 5 threads started in the last couple of days obsessing over gas mileage and gas mileage related gains. Not counting the 2-3 gas pedal, gas tank, and weight reduction threads...

http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=8288

http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=8529

http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=8517

http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=8506

http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=8475

Obsessing??? Maybe that word was a little too strong...

It's all good I guess...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mickey21 said:
Obsessing??? Maybe that word was a little too strong...

It's all good I guess...
Have to agree with Groucho, and "obsessing" is not too strong. Sure, I'd love to get a 400 HP car that gets 50 MPG, but they all came with stickers in the window that says it is not going to happen.

I reset my computer today, drove from the airport in St. Louis to the dealer in Farmington, MO. It was 1:30 when I left...light traffic. I set the cruise on 70 most of the time, but bumped it up to 80 on I-55. I made sure to put myself into a position where I didn't have to use the brakes. Terrain is gentle, rolling hills, and the temp was 90+ and very humid. I hovered around 23 MPG the whole time with the A/C going, and I think that is frickin' phenominal for a fire breathing dragon. That is just barely below my 3.8 Bonnie. I'm not going to b!tch about that mileage.

I filled up this morning, and put in O-93. It took 15 gallons, and to put in O-89 I would have saved $1.50. I think I'll be putting the good juice in her most of the time, if not all.

Gerry

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
other than the 1 member, you are all jumping on my cae and missing the point. i really am not obsessing on it, i just like to know what is up since i am new to the car. i actually think the that the mileage it gets is phenominal. instead of getting on my case, how's about answering the question? that is why we are all here, correct? if this was a road-racing "driving" forum, i would help any of you guys out with whatever "obsessive" or what you deem as "useless" questions.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse- but he also was specifically comparing his MPG with posts of people mentioning up to around 28mpg- now if people are claiming 26-28 mpg and the BEST I could muster was 23- regardless of what the sticker says, I would want to know how the hell they are doing it and why the hell mine isn't :). I kind of got his point from the start, but I can see how it looks bad too..
Joe

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think a performance tune will actually improve the mileage. I've had a tune done to a 2003 Lightning (I know, its the "F" word, but there were no GTO's in 2003), And found the drivability was really improved. I am going to have the 2006 goat tuned to get a baseline before I start the serious mods, so I'll be able to give more than a guess when I get it done. With that said, I am astounded at how good the mileage is, considering the performance level of the car. I've got a 1970 El Camino with a 572 in it. Ya know the one about "It'll pass everything but a gas station"? 10 mpg on a good day. I actually save gas by driving the goat!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey kerno is there a tuner in the Los Angeles area that you would recommend? In about 2 months I will have my basic mods done and would like to get it tunes. I remmember a while back you posted something about alot of previous car experience and since you are relatively in the same area I was curious whom you would suggest.

·
Registered
585 Posts
:willy: Internal combustion engines are not the most efficient means of travel. Most of our gas energy is wasted in heat. That is the way it is. Before we can truly talk about MPG and high power, we must address the short comings of the engine design itself. In other words, until we come up with something different to power cars, we got what we got. ENJOY. On the FUN MPG, I am getting well into the 50 miles per gallon. On the power acceleration, I get right around 49.5 FUN MPG. Attitude is what makes it worth it, not what we pay at the gas pump or in that little half circle on the right. Ya, ta, Hey!

·
Registered
25 Posts
This thread is rediculous. He wanted to know if the diablo sport or any other tune helps (at all) with mpg.

None of you have answered the question. The closest we got was from a 2003 Supercharged FORD.

I would like to know as well as I just got my car, 4 days later I got the diablo sport, and I really don't know what the mpg was before it.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
enjracing said:
thanks andrew..............serioulsy people. can you just answer the question?
I thought I did :confused . Just Kidding! Once again I say, "Yes". I just don't know by how much. I had mine tuned and even though I didn't notice much in increased gas mileage, I know for a fact that it idles a hell of a lot better and is much smoother on acceleration.

·
Registered
388 Posts
raven1124 said:
I did notice about a 1MPG gain after I had my tune with the Diablo. I average about 24.5 MPG on my three hour trips to my parents house.
Can I ask how much that performance tune (or any others can reply as well) cost?

You saw a 1MPG improvement from a tune, so the calculation should be easy to make after that. It will be something like...you have to drive 10,000 miles with that tune to recoup the cost of the tune in gas savings.

Not saying that a performance tune isn't worth it...just trying to help enjracing to find the best approach for the goal.

Pardon my ignorance too...what is a "performance tune" vs. a Goat tuned to specs?

Gerry

·
Registered
388 Posts
raven1124 said:
I did notice about a 1MPG gain after I had my tune with the Diablo. I average about 24.5 MPG on my three hour trips to my parents house.
By the way...I know this is off topic, but I have to ask. Where did your avitar come from. That looks just like I'd envision The Trash Can Man from The Stand, a Stephen King novel...perhaps my favorite.

Gerry

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.