Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking around on here for a couple evenings but have decided I am just going to have to ask. Which part of this site is a good place to go to get a value on a used motor? Or possibly sell the motor if it's worth something to someone?
My grandfather purchased what I think was a 1967 GTO YS 400 engine and put it in a Grand Prix. Motor has been sitting in the car outside and not ran for 40 years. 10 years ago my dad pulled motor from the car and put it in a barn because he felt it might be worth something.
So yesterday I brought it in shop and if I'm looking at the block code correctly it was built in February of 1967. YS stamped in the front right passenger side of block. I think that means 400 CID 335 HP automatic transmission. 670 is on the heads.
Anybody willing to help me make sure I'm looking at the right locations for numbers....and possibly help me put a fair value on it. I will post a picture soon.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Block Cast Code is the part number.

Your description is correct if the casting date corresponds.
Does it have the smog pump? If complete, the Air Pump components may be worth more than the engine LOL

65C23A41-84B7-498F-B088-DBBB013D5380.png
BDC2DDC2-DC38-4DAC-9EEF-E7F4C9F076AA_4_5005_c.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gto 400.jpg

Does it have the smog pump? If complete, the Air Pump components may be worth more than the engine LOL

View attachment 139787 View attachment 139788
I will take pictures of the various spots in that diagram you sent. I’m not sure I know what the smog pump looks like. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,077 Posts
670 heads, February 67 date code, and YS stamp all "line up" with it being exactly what you think it is. One more bit of info would be the block casting number (passenger side rear) which according to WallaceRacing should be 9786133. The heads also have date codes on them which you might have to pull the rocker covers to see. Some years you do, some you don't.

To go beyond that you'd probably have to open it up and look at things like the code on the camshaft, etc. Not sure it's worth that much effort.

Bear

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

View attachment 139787 View attachment 139788
670 heads, February 67 date code, and YS stamp all "line up" with it being exactly what you think it is. One more bit of info would be the block casting number (passenger side rear) which according to WallaceRacing should be 9786133. The heads also have date codes on them which you might have to pull the rocker covers to see. Some years you do, some you don't.

To go beyond that you'd probably have to open it up and look at things like the code on the camshaft, etc. Not sure it's worth that much effort.

Bear
In the picture O52 posted for me I have "B107" cast where his picture says "early block cast code". I have another number right next to the "oil gallery plug" that says 86133. IIs it possible when the plug go bored it took out the 97 number? that would have been in front of the 86133 that is visibe?

I have no numbers on the back passenger side of the block that I can see.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been looking around on here for a couple evenings but have decided I am just going to have to ask. Which part of this site is a good place to go to get a value on a used motor? Or possibly sell the motor if it's worth something to someone?
My grandfather purchased what I think was a 1967 GTO YS 400 engine and put it in a Grand Prix. Motor has been sitting in the car outside and not ran for 40 years. 10 years ago my dad pulled motor from the car and put it in a barn because he felt it might be worth something.
So yesterday I brought it in shop and if I'm looking at the block code correctly it was built in February of 1967. YS stamped in the front right passenger side of block. I think that means 400 CID 335 HP automatic transmission. 670 is on the heads.
Anybody willing to help me make sure I'm looking at the right locations for numbers....and possibly help me put a fair value on it. I will post a picture soon.

Thanks!
On Pontiacpower.net it says "block casting codes from 1964-1967 are found on the distributor pad. March 1967 are found on the rear of the block behind cylinder number 8."
So I feel pretty confident that it appears I have 86133 on the distributor pad the "oil gallery plug" must have taken out the 97. Does that sound reasonable?

Thank for any thought. IMG_8567.JPG

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me. I've seen lots of examples of that.

Apparently you don't have the Smog Pump. For California sold cars in 66/67. Very hard to find since most people took them off and tossed them.

Engine has a Chevrolet Quadrajet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds reasonable to me. I've seen lots of examples of that.

Apparently you don't have the Smog Pump. For California sold cars in 66/67. Very hard to find since most people took them off and tossed them.

Engine has a Chevrolet Quadrajet
Funny you mention the smog pump. When I was googling the block code I came across a list of engine codes on pontiacpower.net. It list all kinds of information for each block code. In the far right hand column it's just titled "notes" and it says "GTO California". Does that mean it left the factory with the smog pump you are talking about?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Funny you mention the smog pump. When I was googling the block code I came across a list of engine codes on pontiacpower.net. It list all kinds of information for each block code. In the far right hand column it's just titled "notes" and it says "GTO California". Does that mean it left the factory with the smog pump you are talking about?

Thanks.
For 1966 - Yes.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
OMT
Pretty sure there was an 4v AIR engine in 67 too. Wasn't it a California only engine too with a closed rather than louvered air cleaner?

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I'm not aware of any '67 smog pump cars in California, but I'm far from a smog expert. They kept the passages in the head through at least '68, but they were plugged.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
In the picture O52 posted for me I have "B107" cast where his picture says "early block cast code". I have another number right next to the "oil gallery plug" that says 86133. IIs it possible when the plug go bored it took out the 97 number? that would have been in front of the 86133 that is visibe?

I have no numbers on the back passenger side of the block that I can see.

Thanks!
Yes, the numbers get taken out when the hole is bored - normal on the early blocks. They changed the block casting number location during the later part of the year on the '67 blocks, and 1968 and up used this location on the rear shelf of the block.

03  1967.JPG

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 67 is a Fremont car, originally equipped with A.I.R. Pump. I’ve got some photos from a previous owner. Got ditched somewhere along the line. i wouldn’t mind restoring it for my rebuild (non functioning of course) I’ve not seen them anywhere, fairly rare I’d guess. I mean who was gonna save a smog pump back in the day...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts