Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Cant Figure It Out!!

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Falco21 
#1 ·
So i just purchased a 2005 PBM GTO M6 and I absolutely love it. Well ive had it for about a month now but i just got around to posting on the forum. Anyways...everything was perfect until three days ago. I was with my g/f going to the movies when i noticed my car saying ABS fault. I couldn't figure out why. As i pulled into the parking lot, Air Bag Failure appeared on the dash followed by the speedometer and all the gauges dropping to zero while still driving. I parked the car and shut it off and tried to start it again, the car would not start. After the movie I went back out to the car and again nothing, i got it jumped and i managed to get it back home. The next day i drove it over to an excellent body shop near my house and while i was driving it began doing the same thing although this time it was saying Check Alternator as well. I had the alternator replaced with a 140 amp over the 60 amp that was originally in it. The car ran perfect and i drove back home. The following day, the car did the same thing as before, i drove it back to the shop where they did a detailed electrical scan of the entire vehicle to figure out what was wrong with it. They came to see that the wire running from the alternator was shot and i needed to re run the wire. I had it done and the car was working perfect again. Now it still is doing the same thing!!! :confused i cant figure out what is going on!!! and its extremely frustrating!! im sorry for the long thread but i wanted to see if anyone had any input for my situation...im taking it to the shop tomorrow to see what they say...how frustrating

See less See more
#2 ·
have you had any work done to the car before this happened, like any welding? because it may have fried the computer.. where did you buy it? have you taken it back to the dealer? sorry to hear about that

#3 ·
no welding done that i know of...i contacted the dealer and since we were charged to re run the wire from the alternator and were told the problem was fixed and it really isn't, the shop is gonna look into it again and fix it...of course if its a major computer problem they are gonna charge us, so if thats the case were gonna take it right back to the dealer

#4 ·
ya i dont know what kind of person you are and i have a hard time doin this my self but you would be amazed what they'll do if you tell them to have the car back and cause a big stink about it.. i mean you have only had it a month if your shop cant fix it i would take it back to the dealer and make em work with ya..

#7 ·
yes very valid point by jetstang its very hard for a shop to figure out the problem if you take it to a different shop each time because they dont know exactly whats been done.. good luck to ya

#8 ·
well i dropped it off at the shop early this morning and they are gonna find out what the problem is and fix it for me....so far they found out that the same wire they replaced shorted out again...so now their looking for whats causing the short...i will let you guys know what they say when i find out...thanx for the input

#10 ·
well just got news that my girl is ready....apparantly the wire that was re installed by the mechanic was installed wrong and it just short out again....they claim that they have been running the car on and off all day and nothing is malfunctioning and the car is running perfect like before....im gonna see if it has the problem still when i pick it up and for a couple of days, but they assure me it will not happen again...well i can assure them if it doesnt happen again i wont ever be going back...lol...time to find a new shop lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.