Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Julie's car is scheduled to be delivered later this week. 08 HHR SS A4 w/ 12k miles. Completely stock for now. I taked her into getting the stage 1 kit from GM that adds 30HP and 70TQ without voiding your warrenty. That should be on the car in the next 2 weeks, then I can tweak the tune some. 1 of 176 in this color(its blue but when the sun shines at different angles it turns purple and very similiar to the stealth blue G8). I'll get some really good pics to show the color change. She is really excited.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
WOW! That engine bay is tiny. Never seen under the hood of an HHR before.

From what I remember the GMPP upgrade adds another MAP sensor, and a reflash (obviously). I have a buddy with a Solstice GXP, and he says that the VCM has heavy torque management even on the manual. Should be fun to play with.

I wish I could find a wrecked one of these or a Cobalt SS/TC to do a motor swap on my Grand Am.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, the new MAP is exactly why it needs the stage 1 so the turbo can run higher PSI. Stage 1 kit and a tune with these are running in the high 13s. The auto also has launch control so its so easy to drive(I call it cheating though).

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So 1.5 tanks of gas into ownership, the turbos wastegate silonoid failed. No boost at all and the exhaust tip turned instantly black.

Took it to GM because it is still withing the 3/36 (08 w/ 13k miles). Was told the part is back ordered and they will let us know. I said since the part to fix the internal wastegate is back ordered, just give us a turbo from anothe rnew car and then you can deal with waiting for the part. It isn't a warrenty if I have to wait months to get our car back. They gave us some ****ty POS Saturn rental. GM corporate got a call.

Her GTO spent more time getting warrenty work done then actually driven and it was bought as a dealer demo. My GTO hasn't had a single issue yet with 65k+ miles. Now the HHR after 2 weeks of ownership isn't driveable. And just to add to things the Chevy bowties bubbled like our steering wheels do. They are replaceing that as well. To be honest, I'm lost faith in GM.

When their customer service calls, I'm demanding the extended bumper to bumper warrenty since they can't make a car last and I'm demanding a new turbo because this is a DD and is needed for Julie's work.

I can say this much, my next car won't be a GM.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Damn, that sucks man. I hate to hear that. I love HHRs and secretly always wanted to get an SS for my wife as a daily driver so she didn't have to lug her crew cab Z71 around all the time.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My wife has had an 06 HHR 2LT as her daily driver since it was new. Not a turbo as they weren't available yet but more importantly, no problems in 47K miles. My wife could care less about a turbo and I don't feel the need to buy a vehicle with stuff for me if it's going to be her car.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
So 1.5 tanks of gas into ownership, the turbos wastegate silonoid failed. No boost at all and the exhaust tip turned instantly black.

Took it to GM because it is still withing the 3/36 (08 w/ 13k miles). Was told the part is back ordered and they will let us know. I said since the part to fix the internal wastegate is back ordered, just give us a turbo from anothe rnew car and then you can deal with waiting for the part. It isn't a warrenty if I have to wait months to get our car back. They gave us some ****ty POS Saturn rental. GM corporate got a call.

Her GTO spent more time getting warrenty work done then actually driven and it was bought as a dealer demo. My GTO hasn't had a single issue yet with 65k+ miles. Now the HHR after 2 weeks of ownership isn't driveable. And just to add to things the Chevy bowties bubbled like our steering wheels do. They are replaceing that as well. To be honest, I'm lost faith in GM.

When their customer service calls, I'm demanding the extended bumper to bumper warrenty since they can't make a car last and I'm demanding a new turbo because this is a DD and is needed for Julie's work.

I can say this much, my next car won't be a GM.
My first Z06 was nothing but problems. This one is perfect. My GTO was perfect.

My first C6 had two recalls though and man I know exactly how you feel. It took them 1 month to fix the roof on the C6 and they would only give me a rental if the car sat at the dealership. Well they wouldn't keep the car inside and if it rained it would get wet inside with the top problem and they told me that was the best they could do.

Then it had a rear end recall due to a grinding noise. They used the wrong diff fluid in C6's and XLR's. I made an appointment at a dealership and twice was told that they were too busy to do the repair when I brought the car in. GM told me sorry that's between the dealership and me. So I made an appointment at another dealership. The exact same thing happened. GM again said, sorry, your problem not theirs.

GM makes some great cars. They really need to understand that what makes people not care about price is the service after the sale. Every car has problems. Ask my brother about his Toyota Avalon and the 42 trips to the dealer in 36 months of ownership. GM needs to understand that the cost of keeping a customer happy is much less than the cost of finding new customers.

My Hyundai ****** went to the dealer for it's 15,000 mile service. An oil change and a cabin filter change and some basic checks. They found that one of the headlights wasn't quite as bright as the other and replaced BOTH bulbs. I'm not even sure that was one of their checks, they just said their policy is to use headlights inside the service area and a tech, not the one working on the car, but another tech noticed it. No charge. Total cost was $55 tax and all for an oil change and cabin filter. The filter is $30 plus tax at Autozone.

By the way, bulbs are free for 6 years or 60,000 miles.

If the Hyundai Genesis coupe just had a bit more power..........

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GM Customer care didn't call like they said they would... can't say I'm shocked. I just find it had the believe that there is a TSB out, every forum that talks about this motor says the wastegates are failing, yet GM doesn't have the part.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
UPDATE: Dealer called, said they got the wastegate in and installed it. Car still threw codes and they think the turbo is bad as well. I tried to tell them when the car was dropped off the the wastegate is deffently bad but the turbo should be replaced as well since we surged the crap out of the compressor. 16PSI down to VAC instatly when the throttle was pressed. Hopefully they get the turbo in soon and installed. Would like to acutally use the car we bought.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
When you pick up your car look it over well before you pull it off the lot. I've had bad experiances with GM dealer mechanics with my wifes G8. They broke more stuff then they fixed. Most of it I found before I pulled it off the lot. I've got pretty close to reporting them, I've taken pictures and all. It's got pretty old, expecially when the dealer is over 40miles away, you have to take time off of work, and bringing the car back over and over again.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I def plan on taking a good look at the car before we take it.

This dealer, Fred Beans of Limerick, PA, has been a great dealer for us in the past... the service writer there had a 1000+ HP Viper but was in a serious car accident months ago and we have been stuck dealing with some guy that doesn't give a crap.

I'm not 100%, but I thought when you replace a turbo you are not supposed to reuse the old oil lines. I gotta double check on that though. Also are turbos like clutches where you gotta ease them in?

FYI, the wastegate is made of the cheapest plastic money could buy, no wonder they are breaking every 15k miles.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I know that dealership, Gene used to work for them, thats where I ordered my 06 Tails back in the day, cheap. I'm not sure about the oil lines, but an oil/filter change before and sort time after would be a good idea.

A plastic wastegate, wow!:eek:

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gene(from GM Parts House) actually works for the GM Dealer in Boyertown, PA about 20 minutes away... I think it's called Patriot. He is def a good guy. I got some parts from him since he is close and it is awsome saving on shipping.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Gene(from GM Parts House) actually works for the GM Dealer in Boyertown, PA about 20 minutes away... I think it's called Patriot. He is def a good guy. I got some parts from him since he is close and it is awsome saving on shipping.
Yes, Gene Culley used to work for Fred Beans. I remembered when he moved. This was before he came to GM Parts House. I still have the email from him too when he worked there.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I had one of those try to chase my GTO down.

Too bad I was exiting as he was weaving in and outta traffic to mingle with me (I saw him make eye contact with me when he got on the road).

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dealer called. Said the car is fixed. They won't cover the burnt exhaust tip. They told us it was because it wasn't cleaned properly even though we have the pics from the previous dealer showing it was spotless when we bought it and when it was delivered when we did the delivery inspection.

I'm going to take my dremel to it again and see what magic I can work. I just find it hard to belive that a car that had 500 miles it since we bought it can be this much of a PITA with GM. My GTO is catless, I put 10k or so on it each winter without cleaning the tips cause its cold, and mine come clean by hand months later...

FYI - the exhaust is 1 giant peice on this car... no bolts or flanges. They must of put the exhaust in durrent assemply because there is no way to take it out without cutting it.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts