Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would make a separate post instead of continuing to pollute the post about a 421 in a '66 GTO from the factory. A little history of the "ringer". Jim Wangers specified how he wanted the car configured to get maximum marketing impact. The car not only had a 421 installed, but it got the Bob Cat treatment (and maybe more). Afterwards this was Jim's personal car for awhile. During the time it was Jim's, he had lunch with a copywriter he worked with. This copywriter was Phil Fairchild. Phil brought his 4 year-old son with him and Wangers took them all for a ride, giving it "a shot through the gears". That gave the son a life long "obsession with cars". After the boy established himself in his profession, he went looking for the "ringer". The son is Tenney Fairchild, the current owner of the car. He found it back East in 2005 needing a lot of TLC. But it wasn't in too bad a shape, it mostly had a lot of wrong parts. After driving it around LA for awhile, he sent it to Scott Tiemann to turn it into the car you see today. Needless to say this is his pride and joy, and I can't imagine a better caretaker for the car.

GTO-Fairchild(1) small.jpg
GTO-Fairchild(2) small.jpg
GTO-Fairchild(4) small.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
I first saw this car back in the 80's when Milt Schornak was the caretaker (not owner) and drag raced it. It had the ram air cleaner that sucked air from the cowl. It still had mostly the original paint with a couple of rust holes in the lower quarters, but it polished up pretty nice. Interior was very nice. Best I remember he turned in the high 10's on slicks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The picture in that magazine article is the blue car (license plate HJ-4471). Also note no power antenna on that car where as the red car did. The Blue car was rumored to have a 389 but that same blue car was used in other magazine articles, one article discussing the Bobcat kit showing a 421cid residing in it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's at what we called the Toluca Lake Bob's. It's frequently referred to as the Burbank location, but we still call it Toluca Lake. That was one of my hangouts back in the day. The "Big Boys" brought their cars there. I was just a spectator.
Been to Bob's many times when I lived in LA for four years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts