Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1968 Pontiac GTO; 400 Ram Air II (numbers matching throughout), 4 sp (M 20), 3.55 Rear Ratio, Convertible, Hood Tach (5500), Hide-A-Way Headlights, Factory Headers, Rally II (Redline Tires in Storage), Stock Radio. All ppwrk as well.
Still trying to confirm all stats and give her a good tune.
Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Grille

Be well, Pat "KnockDown" Killion

· Registered
564 Posts
Hi Pat.

Very nice, rare 68. Do you have the PHS for the car, it will have the born-with stats. Is the car a new addition to your family or have you had it for sometime?

in terms of tune are you referring to how it runs or how it sounds?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just showing it off...I hope that's OK here. After many nation-wide searches, I finally found something nice and not at the prominent auction pricing. I've "restomoded" 2 GTOs in the past ('68 and '69 - both hard tops) and I can't say I learned much from them. I recently retired and plan to spend a lot of quality time with her. I think I have the PHS, build sheet and other ppwrk. These are the things I want to get familiar with so I can confidently ask questions and understand the feedback. I hope to learn from the outstanding talent found in this forum and thank you, in advance, for your comments.
Important; I want to be an awesome care-taker of this machine out of respect.
Thx! Pat Killion

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tend to ramble on...answers to your questions. It sounds pretty good now but it came from sea level to approx. 5000ft in altitude. If it's even necessary, I'd like to be able to check ignition components etc to confidently have it running in its' optimal range. We had our first snow here (Utah) so I'll put it on stands and take a good look at everything. I thought a front disc brake was rubbing or a rear drum was going bad but I now understand its' simply one of the wheel dressing components. Things like that I'd like to check out.
This car is relatively new to me but I've had my eye on it for a while. An elderly gentleman owned it, he worked in some capacity for Pontiac back in the day. From day 1, I was sincere, kept in touch and did not try to insult his intelligence. I've had it in my hands for approx. 3 months.
Be well, Pat Killion

· Registered
192 Posts
I tend to ramble on...answers to your questions. It sounds pretty good now but it came from sea level to approx. 5000ft in altitude. If it's even necessary, I'd like to be able to check ignition components etc to confidently have it running in its' optimal range. We had our first snow here (Utah) so I'll put it on stands and take a good look at everything. I thought a front disc brake was rubbing or a rear drum was going bad but I now understand its' simply one of the wheel dressing components. Things like that I'd like to check out.
This car is relatively new to me but I've had my eye on it for a while. An elderly gentleman owned it, he worked in some capacity for Pontiac back in the day. From day 1, I was sincere, kept in touch and did not try to insult his intelligence. I've had it in my hands for approx. 3 months.
Be well, Pat Killion
If it was indeed a wheel dressing component clanking - most likely a center cap. Ames makes a neat little conversion kit to "lock" those down so they don't rattle all over the place. I got them on all four of my Rally 2s and they are great. they market them as "anti-theft", which is legit as replacements are $25 a pop. Hopefully my snip worked. they are part # T106D - Fabulous looking car! Of course I am jaded as I have nearly the same car! Joe
Font Screenshot Jewellery Body jewelry Art

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What seems to be the exhaust product that we look to for a good nasty rumble. I understand the cam has much to do with it as well. In a former GTO experience I chose a Hooker product called "AeroChamber." - good easy rumble for cruising but when you got on it...they sounded dirty, mean and nasty. I have yet to crawl underneath it to determine all these things. It may have a "40 series" from Flowmaster.

· Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Ames is number one for me. I also use (in order of preference)
NPD
Inline Tube
The Parts Place

OPGI has a big fancy catalog and good deals from time to time but...
Don't believe all the advertising hype. Their prices are high and parts quality IMO is questionable.

The 68 model has many one year only parts. Many people including vendors will describe parts as fitting 68-72. That is true to a certain extent for suspension and most mechanical. The interior is different from all other years especially the doors and dash.
The only vendor I trust with a correct parts description is Ames and even then they slip up from time to time.

My 68 is 98% factory stock so I'm really particular of what goes in it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts