Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to certain things automotive I am a caridiot. Can someone please explain or direct me to a website for info on the modern day paint process in more detail than just prep, prime and paint? I've noticed alot of things wrong with the GTO paint job, moreso than on most cars I've owned. I see on this and other forums that I am not the only one experiencing this. I am planning on taking it into the dealer to see if they can do anything about it. More specifically, by my hoodline in the front, the paint is chipping and peeling off the hood, cause unknown. I have my normal share of stone chips, but this is not normal wear. What could you expect to pay for a decent quality paint job? Any help is appreciated. :cheers

·
Registered
2,100 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
b_a_betterperson said:
This should get you in the ballpark. Mine was built in 8/04 and the paint is very good. In fact, it's the only car I've ever bought that didn't need to be color sanded on the hood roof and rear deck. That said, I have seen posts about stone chips on the nose plus wearing on the rocker panels. Good luck.

http://www.automotive.dupont.com/en/productServices/paintCoatings/metalExterior.html
b a,
Thanks for the info. I think this is an isolated problem, at least in regard to the area of the car that is affected. Hopefully the Dealership will do the right thing and fix the problem. They have done right by me in the past, so I can't see where they would change their approach now. I'll keep you posted. :cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
when you paint a car you need a chemical or physical bond for the paint to stick the factorys use a chemical bond when the spray the primer and then the paint over the primer they get there chemical bond but when they spray the primer on a friday and then shut down for the weekend the primer dries and you cant get a chemical bond after the primer has dryed. then you would have to sand it and make a physical bond for the paint to stick. the factory does not sand what they prime when they come back monday they just spray the paint over the dryed primer.which makes the paint not stick because it has no bond which is why brand new paint comes pealing off. :cheers

·
Registered
161 Posts
For what its worth I thought the paint was weak on both mine and the wifes goat. When I put the banchee hood on my car I had the shop paint it with PPG paints and I have taken some good size stone hits on the hood without any chips. The roads and interstates in NC are horrible. pavement coming up everywhere. My wife's car seemed to also chip easily, so her hood has also been painted with PPG paints and it is also performing well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.