Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's lease is up this month. We need to replace her Accord, and want to buy American. We need a car with room, but I want some power. Neither of us care for SUV's after owning them. Here's our list, but chime in if you think we're missing anything.

1. Impala SS.

2. Ford Freestar

3. Dodge Magnum

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EEZ GOAT said:
missing a gto:willy:
Nope, I drive a GTO. We have 2 kids. 2 kids + 2 GTO's = not gonna work. We need more doors and way more room than the goat offers.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Thanks for wanting to buy American. That's very cool. Basically, we're talking all brands owned by GM and Ford -- including the ones they import (I'm OK with that as the profits stay in the United States).

Since you need a 4-door, here are a few thoughts:

GM

Buick Lucerne: Solid offering. Not a sports sedan, but competent in all areas. Drive one and you will be impressed.

Cadillac STS: Good car -- but pricey in my book.

Cadillac SRX: Don't throw this option out thinking it's an SUV. It has SUV utility -- but is built off a car chassis. The 6 is OK -- the Northstar 8 is fantastic.

Chevrolet Impala: Naaaaaaah. Not even the SS. Too hard to look at.

Saab 9-3: Not a bad product. Get the optional 17" BBS wheels and you'll have a pretty cool ride. And their lease deals are awesome.

FORD

Ford Five Hundred: Incredible car -- except for the hokey pokey 6 under the hood. Drive one with the CVT transmission. If your wife thinks it's fast enough -- get one because Ford is dealing on these.

Ford Freestar: Same drivetrain as the Five Hundred -- but weighs a few hundred pounds more because of the mini-van like design. Get the Five Hundred instead of this.

Mercury Milan: Same as the Fusion and Lincoln Zephyr. Nicer styling than the Fusion -- not as pricey as the Zephyr -- which charges a lot more for some doo-dads. Decent drivetrain. Good price. Check it out.

Mazda 6: Very good car. Try it. You might want to look at the Mazda 5, too. It's a small van like vehicle -- but looks pretty cool.

Volvo: The S40 is cool, but small. The S60 is outstanding. If you can get the 2.4T or T-5, get it. I know they've got a new S80 coming up -- but don't think it's in dealerships yet. Good looking car, though.

Jaguar X-Type: A little small in back -- but a good, solid car, especially with the sport package.

Jaguar S-Type: Kind of a pig unless you get the supercharged S-Type R. Sells for $70K new. Resells for half that in 2 years. If you can find a used one with low miles (still under warranty), get one. If it's not under warranty, run.

Jaguar XJ: Great car. Can get them for $10K under sticker, easy. Dollar for dollar, every bit as good as comparable BMWs and Benzes. The XJ-R with the supercharged engine (my wife's ride) is a hoot.

Regarding the Dodge Magnum, the parent company is in Germany -- so the profits go overseas. They're all over the place out here -- and most are pimped up with 20-22" wheels. They just look too weird in my book. The Chargers are fright pigs. The Chrysler 300 is the best of the bunch to me -- but, again, you'll be exporting dollars to the Germans.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You said no SUV's...but try the Trailblazer SS. A friend has one... AWD with 400hp, It drives nice with no tippy truck feel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
b_a_betterperson said:
Thanks for wanting to buy American. That's very cool. Basically, we're talking all brands owned by GM and Ford -- including the ones they import (I'm OK with that as the profits stay in the United States).

Since you need a 4-door, here are a few thoughts:

GM

Buick Lucerne: Solid offering. Not a sports sedan, but competent in all areas. Drive one and you will be impressed.

Cadillac STS: Good car -- but pricey in my book.

Cadillac SRX: Don't throw this option out thinking it's an SUV. It has SUV utility -- but is built off a car chassis. The 6 is OK -- the Northstar 8 is fantastic.

Chevrolet Impala: Naaaaaaah. Not even the SS. Too hard to look at.

Saab 9-3: Not a bad product. Get the optional 17" BBS wheels and you'll have a pretty cool ride. And their lease deals are awesome.

FORD

Ford Five Hundred: Incredible car -- except for the hokey pokey 6 under the hood. Drive one with the CVT transmission. If your wife thinks it's fast enough -- get one because Ford is dealing on these.

Ford Freestar: Same drivetrain as the Five Hundred -- but weighs a few hundred pounds more because of the mini-van like design. Get the Five Hundred instead of this.

Mercury Milan: Same as the Fusion and Lincoln Zephyr. Nicer styling than the Fusion -- not as pricey as the Zephyr -- which charges a lot more for some doo-dads. Decent drivetrain. Good price. Check it out.

Mazda 6: Very good car. Try it. You might want to look at the Mazda 5, too. It's a small van like vehicle -- but looks pretty cool.

Volvo: The S40 is cool, but small. The S60 is outstanding. If you can get the 2.4T or T-5, get it. I know they've got a new S80 coming up -- but don't think it's in dealerships yet. Good looking car, though.

Jaguar X-Type: A little small in back -- but a good, solid car, especially with the sport package.

Jaguar S-Type: Kind of a pig unless you get the supercharged S-Type R. Sells for $70K new. Resells for half that in 2 years. If you can find a used one with low miles (still under warranty), get one. If it's not under warranty, run.

Jaguar XJ: Great car. Can get them for $10K under sticker, easy. Dollar for dollar, every bit as good as comparable BMWs and Benzes. The XJ-R with the supercharged engine (my wife's ride) is a hoot.

Regarding the Dodge Magnum, the parent company is in Germany -- so the profits go overseas. They're all over the place out here -- and most are pimped up with 20-22" wheels. They just look too weird in my book. The Chargers are fright pigs. The Chrysler 300 is the best of the bunch to me -- but, again, you'll be exporting dollars to the Germans.

Hope that helps. Have fun!
What is with all the disgust for Chrysler on this board? If anything I expected this to be more of anti-Ford environment. I can't believe the way some people bag on the 300,Charger, Magnum. They replaced V6 FWD cars with V8 RWD cars, and they are selling them like crazy. I wish GM would do the same and swithch the Impala/Grand Prix over to RWD.

Chrysler is still an American based company. Your dollars support UAW workers, American manufacturing, etc. That's where your dollars go among other places like R&D for future products.

My GTO on the other hand was built in Australia, and did little to support this economy besides the piece of mind that the profits went to GM.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ragtop70 said:
You said no SUV's...but try the Trailblazer SS. A friend has one... AWD with 400hp, It drives nice with no tippy truck feel.
Not an SUV guy, but thanks anyway. Not a fan of the Trailblazer looks at all either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like the look of most of the SRT-8's (charger, 300, magnum, jeep). If you were looking for a sleeker ride with power and space I like the 300 personally, but again if you are looking for your wife (if she is anything like mine). As long as it has a "pretty color" and a sunroof she is happy and I would not want her to drive something so powerful.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Look hard at the Impala SS. V8 power, DOD, so you get close to 30 mpg on the highway; supposedly very good build quality and interior materials used.

Only negative is front wheel drive, but if you live up north, that may be a positive- - -

I looked very hard at this car before buying the Goat, mainly because it looked good, have V8 power, and was more practical than another toy. Another toy won.

·
Registered
491 Posts
smokey said:
My wife's lease is up this month. We need to replace her Accord, and want to buy American. We need a car with room, but I want some power. Neither of us care for SUV's after owning them. Here's our list, but chime in if you think we're missing anything.

1. Impala SS.

2. Ford Freestar

3. Dodge Magnum

I actually kind of like the sleeper look of the Impala, and the drivetrain should be pretty sweet; reliable and powerful.

I'd probably go with the Magnum tho'...badd looking and probably better overall quality than the American made GM product.

The Ford Five Hundred is a pretty classy ride; impressive looking interior, I thought.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check out the Pontiac Bonneville GXP. It has the northstar V8 in it and good looks for a 4 door. Stickers around 38k, but our dealer had theirs marked down to 32k. They only had one at the time we were there. That would give you 2 Pontiacs, one with the LS2 and one with the Northstar. Good luck.Here is a picture of the 2005.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Trukcrazy said:
Check out the Pontiac Bonneville GXP. It has the northstar V8 in it and good looks for a 4 door. Stickers around 38k, but our dealer had theirs marked down to 32k. They only had one at the time we were there. That would give you 2 Pontiacs, one with the LS2 and one with the Northstar. Good luck.Here is a picture of the 2005.

Sweet!

I know of at least 2 late model Bonneville owners that had over 200k miles on their 3800 V6s, before they traded them off. Pretty much trouble free, and they sure didn't maintain them like they should. Top of the line Bonneville w/ the Northstar should be even better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've Got A Wife, 2 Kids, A Gto And A Magnum. The Magnum Is The Way To Go, We Have Never Regretted Having It. It's The Best Family Vehicle We Have Ever Had. It Looks Cool, Has Great Power ANd Gets About 26 Mpg On The Highway And About 20 Combined. P.S., The Kids Are Always Proud To Be Seen In It!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
smokey said:
What is with all the disgust for Chrysler on this board? If anything I expected this to be more of anti-Ford environment. I can't believe the way some people bag on the 300,Charger, Magnum. They replaced V6 FWD cars with V8 RWD cars, and they are selling them like crazy. I wish GM would do the same and swithch the Impala/Grand Prix over to RWD.

Chrysler is still an American based company. Your dollars support UAW workers, American manufacturing, etc. That's where your dollars go among other places like R&D for future products.

My GTO on the other hand was built in Australia, and did little to support this economy besides the piece of mind that the profits went to GM.
You're welcome for the suggestions. If you've looked at interior of the Magnum and are still interested, God bless you. And the profits still go overseas so DCX can fund companies like Mercedes -- who would like nothing better than to keep taking dollars from American-owned brands.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I didn't like the Impala SS when I first saw one, but once I saw one in person, I actually kind of like them. However I like the Dark Maroon Grand Prix GXP better.

GM axed the Bonneville. They no longer make them. 05 was the last year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
b_a_betterperson said:
You're welcome for the suggestions. If you've looked at interior of the Magnum and are still interested, God bless you. And the profits still go overseas so DCX can fund companies like Mercedes -- who would like nothing better than to keep taking dollars from American-owned brands.
I believe I did fail to thank you. We just got back from looking at the Impala and the Magnum. Funny you mention the interior on the Magnum, we liked it and that's pretty high praise coming from Honda owners. The only thing we did not like was the dash plastics were a too hard, and not of a softer feel like the Honda. However, fit and finish were first rate and the ergos were also very nice.

I understand the economics of where my dollars go. However, I'd be a bit hypocritical by saying a Holden purchase is okay, but an D/C purchase is not. We can agree to disagree on that.

I was unimpressed with the Impala solely on the basis of it being FWD. I just have had enough of FWD, and never liked it to begin with. Looks like we may buy a Magnum R/T, although they have a Magnum SRT8 at the dealership as well.

Anyone heard any goods or bads abouth the Magnum RT's or SRT8's. The RT stickers at 34K, and they have the SRT8 which stickers about 5-6k more. I'd gladly spend the extra money if that's what we decide.

·
Registered
491 Posts
smokey said:
I believe I did fail to thank you. We just got back from looking at the Impala and the Magnum. Funny you mention the interior on the Magnum, we liked it and that's pretty high praise coming from Honda owners. The only thing we did not like was the dash plastics were a too hard, and not of a softer feel like the Honda. However, fit and finish were first rate and the ergos were also very nice.

I understand the economics of where my dollars go. However, I'd be a bit hypocritical by saying a Holden purchase is okay, but an D/C purchase is not. We can agree to disagree on that.

I was unimpressed with the Impala solely on the basis of it being FWD. I just have had enough of FWD, and never liked it to begin with. Looks like we may buy a Magnum R/T, although they have a Magnum SRT8 at the dealership as well.

Anyone heard any goods or bads abouth the Magnum RT's or SRT8's. The RT stickers at 34K, and they have the SRT8 which stickers about 5-6k more. I'd gladly spend the extra money if that's what we decide.

I'd get the SRT8...didn't you just race an SRT8, and was pretty impressed with their strength? Just be more mature than my dad was if your wife beats you. J/K:eek:

My dad had a --I'm going to guess a green '66 GTO (modded), and my mother had a stock yellow '69 GTO. Finally, after she never let him win, he nearly rolled his trying to skid it sideways into the front yard. He put a "For Sale" sign on it and never drove it again.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Volvo V70 T5.

We own one- it's wifeys ride. Fast enough (stomped more than one ricer), comfortable, bone reliable, can haul the whole family (all six of us) and a great freeway cruiser.

Got plans to bump up the boost and flashmod the ECU when the warranty runs out. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts