Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter came quick here in MN what tips for car storage in unheated garage? I have car cover, what about fuel stabilizer, fluids, tire pressure, etc. Any info would help, looking to store until March.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Fill the tank, add stabilizer, change oil, disconnect battery, bump up tire pressure, and put a box of baking soda inside the car, under the hood, in the trunk, and under the car to soak up moisture.

I do a few things on here that people tell me i'm nuts for but haven't had a problem with for 16 years.

1. Wipe down rotors with wd-40 and a rag. The surface looks just like it did before i put it away. Didn't do it one year and i had a lot of surface rust. Wiped it off and found slight pitting. Last time i made that mistake.

2. Take the weight off the suspension. Ever see a car with leaky or frozen shocks after sitting for months? Bushings can conform to a certain shape too. When you buy springs, shocks, bushings, etc., they sit on the shelf with out being weighted. It does no damage. Would you buy new suspension products that had 3700lbs sitting on them for months? Didn't think so.

Go ahead guys flame away.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Cars sit for months at the manufactor between shipping, goign to the deal, and waiting to be sold without issues. A few months won't hurt anything. Just change the oil and fill the tank(put in some gas stab if you wish). If you develope any flat stop on the tires they will solve themself after 50-100 miles so no biggie there. Rust on the rotors is nothign to really worry about anyway. Go to a dealer, every car that hasn't been test drove in a week has surface rust. No biggie.

I personally think people make way to big a fuss over this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts