Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start by saying that I don't know very much about engines in general so this may be common knowledge to most of you so I will apologize for my ignorance up front.
Here goes; I have an 06 GTO with less than 15,000 miles and was wondering if I should cover my hood scoop opening when washing my car. There is a distinct smell that comes from my engine after doing so that I believe could only be caused my water/soap getting to the engine. My first thought was that it must be acceptable because you are not required to cover the scoop when it's raining but I live in North Texas and we have just now been receiving rain since I bought the car; in fact it has been raining practically everyday for weeks (sometimes very hard) and I have yet to smell the smell that I get when I wash it. My thinking is that even a hard rain cannot compete with the force of a car wash sprayer and that the car wash sprayer may be in some way damaging the engine. I may be over thinking here but would feel better if I could confirm.
My 2nd question: Is it normal to occasionally get a slight gas smell while driving at normal (in town) speed. I've never smelled it at highway speed or after flooring the accelerator, only under stop & go type driving while babying the accelerator. Is it possible that my car is picking up the fumes from other cars? If so, my previous car was a Honda Accord and this never happened so could this just be the price I pay for having a 6.0 engine? If so, it's a small price to pay.
I would certainly be greateful to anyone you could set an ignorant GTO owner's mind at ease.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
First, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!:cheers
I wouldn't worry too much about the car wash thing. You may be geting alittle suds in there, but no more than the amount of rain water that sneaks in there while driving through a storm. As for the fuel smell,That would be a first for me.
Anyone else expierance this?

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Let me start by saying that I don't know very much about engines in general so this may be common knowledge to most of you so I will apologize for my ignorance up front.
Here goes; I have an 06 GTO with less than 15,000 miles and was wondering if I should cover my hood scoop opening when washing my car. There is a distinct smell that comes from my engine after doing so that I believe could only be caused my water/soap getting to the engine. My first thought was that it must be acceptable because you are not required to cover the scoop when it's raining but I live in North Texas and we have just now been receiving rain since I bought the car; in fact it has been raining practically everyday for weeks (sometimes very hard) and I have yet to smell the smell that I get when I wash it. My thinking is that even a hard rain cannot compete with the force of a car wash sprayer and that the car wash sprayer may be in some way damaging the engine. I may be over thinking here but would feel better if I could confirm.
My 2nd question: Is it normal to occasionally get a slight gas smell while driving at normal (in town) speed. I've never smelled it at highway speed or after flooring the accelerator, only under stop & go type driving while babying the accelerator. Is it possible that my car is picking up the fumes from other cars? If so, my previous car was a Honda Accord and this never happened so could this just be the price I pay for having a 6.0 engine? If so, it's a small price to pay.
I would certainly be greateful to anyone you could set an ignorant GTO owner's mind at ease.
HI HADRON, first off welcome to the Forum!

It is NOT necessary to remove the inserts. The inserts are there mainly for aesthetics. They do help keep dirt and debris from getting in the engine compartment. Many guys remove them for increased airflow to dissipate heat build up and have reported NO rain getting in there and no adverse affects.

With a new engine it is normal to have smells coming from the engine etc. It is the smell of part number stickers on parts that get hot and burn off. Until the stickers are completely burned off you will get some odd smells. The hotter the components get the more you will smell odors until they are completely gone. Particularly exhaust parts. At 15K those smells should be gone. It could be when you are washing your car with a higher power washer, you may be pushing dirt onto parts that will give off a smell of burning dirt etc.

IMO do not use a high pressure washer. If you must, make sure the spray is far enough away from the paint etc. and do not spray towards the engine. I prefer to use a fine "shower" like you would use to water plants, from a garden hose. That is just my preference and I have also read recommendations not to use them as well. The next time you wash your car don't spray into the engine compartment. If you do not smell those weird smells then you'll know the higher pressure was pushing dirt etc onto hot parts and burning off.

As far as a gassy smell.... Could be various things, from going past a gas station and smelling refueling going on, or cars leaking gas, or overfilling causing vapors to dissipate. The reason is NOT because of a 6.0L engine.

I get raw gas smells too at different times, and it isn't my car. If you are having gas leaking issues you will see it and it will be constant.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts