Pontiac GTO Forum banner

carb color paint

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Scott06 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any luck with painting their carbs recently? I know that chemical treatment is the best way to restore the original coloring and protection of the carbs, but I've read enough posts of people that have painted them with satisfactory results, and that would work better for me I think. However all the posts are older, and the one paint that most people recommend (Eastwood Carb Renew) is no longer available through Eastwood.

I intend to run the disassembled parts through an ultrasonic cleaner first.

Drew

#2 ·
Has anyone had any luck with painting their carbs recently? I know that chemical treatment is the best way to restore the original coloring and protection of the carbs, but I've read enough posts of people that have painted them with satisfactory results, and that would work better for me I think. However all the posts are older, and the one paint that most people recommend (Eastwood Carb Renew) is no longer available through Eastwood.

Drew
You should be able to find someone to dip them, without much trouble... but if you're sure you dont wish to do that, then any 2 part auto paint will do, and frankly, rattle bombs will work fine, as well. Really, its just hard to find the right color.

#3 ·
Really, its just hard to find the right color.
And I am colorblind, so me picking out the color would make for some funky looking carbs. Ill look into finding someone to dip them, but I really wanted to just paint and be done. The Eastwood carb paint would probably have been perfect...no guessing or trying to match paint can lids.

#5 ·
Most likely I am just going to leave it however it comes out of the cleaner. I was less concerned about color and more concerned that it would be protected enough, and If it was just a 2 minute spray can job, I would have done it. I don't mind the patina look.

#8 ·

Drew
When i did mine i soda blasted the bodies and hit them with eastwood satin clear. Only been a couple years but holds up well and is perfect for a driver. You have the bare zinc ish casting vs the greenish dicromate plating, that didnt hold up when new …
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Auto part

#12 ·
Drew
I wanted to share a pics of my carb after rebuilding, and yes that is the exact carb I dropped for rebuilding :)
I am very happy with the results done for 180.00 by a shop in Baltimore/Dundalk MD he usually turns the carb around in 2 days
if you are interested the name of the shop is Abel Carb located in 7403 Eastern ave, I posted a few pics on his site
I am not affiliated with the shop

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.