Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a replacement carb for my 67 Goat.
My "Q" has a hairline crack in the body.
OPGI has them at a reasonable price, BUT they have electric chokes.
mine is set up for mechanical choke.
What do I do now?:confused
thanks as always
ps back from it's first trip to the shop!!
I have full brakes now.......my tranny works fine with no leaks.........they found my elusive coolant leak...........wifey drove it home an I now has 3 miles on it ..........lol
:rofl::cheers
:party::party::party:

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
I need to get a replacement carb for my 67 Goat.
My "Q" has a hairline crack in the body.
OPGI has them at a reasonable price, BUT they have electric chokes.
mine is set up for mechanical choke.
What do I do now?:confused
What you do is swap the choke mechanism off your old carb onto the new one. All the mounting points on the carb body should be the same, regardless of what kind of choke it has. No worries mon... :cheers

Bear

·
Registered
460 Posts
:agree
Yea what Bear said, oh and since you have no use for it, I'd be HAPPY to take that electronic choke off your hands, you know to save you the trouble of storing it or throwing it away.

:D

Yea I know, pretty awesome of me, but I am happy to help.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Or just run the more reliable electric choke? Are you after number matching carb or something? Plenty of quality rebuilders out there that can get you a Qjet for decent money. Or talk to Thumpin about building you one. You can get a different' body for yours and just build one yourself. Is it leaking out the crack?
Congrats on getting everything fixed!

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Possably glue up the body? I recently had to drill out the bottom of a carb to get a check ball out that had welded itself inside the acc pump and was able to glue my drilled hole up with some JB Weld. Letting the JB stuff set up for about 40 minutes before applying keeps it from running all over from being too thin.

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This thing has been to the Carb Shop twice and leaked when returned.
My own Mech who owns several Goats couldnt fix it.
Im done
Its not a #'s matched one so OPGI is probably my best bet.
How would I convert my car for an electric choke?
thanks guys

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I just looked, OPGI carbs are $400, same carb through Summit Racing is $300. Ebay sells them cheaper. I don't think even the OPGI carb is new, probably rebuilt by someone else, then they add there mark up to it. If it is a real Pontiac carb, then all the linkages and vacuum ports should be there. You could just get one at Autozone, and take it back if doesn't work right. The OPGI ones aren't number matching, the rebuilt number matching ones on ebay are $750-$1000.. If it's not the right one, then it's just a Qjet..
Converting to electric choke is just getting an ignition hot wire and run it to one side of the choke, ground to the other post, easy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
check out C&J engineering. mine has no choke on it, was built for the application, and fires right up on the first try, no choke required. seems to run well and idle perfectly. just a suggestion.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Stick with the mechanical choke. They work fine and are a non-issue. Just swap it over like Bear said. 95% of the choke mechanism is mounted to the intake manifold and not the carb. Just make sure the choke rod is properly attached to the bellcrank on the carb. Good luck to ya.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts