Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be benificial to make the following parts out of Carbon Fiber? And why aren't they made?

Our 50 lb oil filter cover?? Would it hold up better?? It would be lighter.

Exhaust? Carbon fiber holds up really well to heat and it is really strong. How come it won't work for exhaust purposes??

Those are the only ones that I can think of right now... Anything that I missed?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I thought carbon fiber catches on fire at really high temps? I could be wrong...

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
There are two different skid plates that are considerably lighter than stock, on SLP sells and the other BMR sells, I stock both. Exhaust and carbon fiber doesn't mix, carbon fiber breaks down when it gets extremely hot..... not a good combo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
GTODealer - Which do you recommend? What is the best way to get a hold of you to purchase one. I had the pleasure the other day of trying to hold it up with one hand and bolt it back on while lying on my back (some of use don't have lifts). That is something I do not wish to repeat.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
If you don't mind removing the skid plate everytime you change oil (keep in mind this one only weighs around 11lbs.) then buy the BMR, if you don't ever want to remove the plate again then buy the SLP. If you want to get ahold of me either call me at 817-589-3300 ext.157, pm me, or email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
400 Posts
raven1124 said:
Don't they make carbon fiber exhaust for motorcycles?
That's just a sheet of CF wrapped around an aluminum muffer. The headpipe, collector and tailpipe are steel/alum/ti

·
Registered
31 Posts
Justice said:
That's just a sheet of CF wrapped around an aluminum muffer. The headpipe, collector and tailpipe are steel/alum/ti
Not true, the muffler on my bike is solid carbon fiber, with titanium end caps. The carbon muffler are specially treated to handle the heat, and the packing keeps a lot of the heat away from the muffler.

Tony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.