Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the carburetor# (Rochester Quadrajet 7029273 XB) that would have originally been put on a 1969 Ram Air IV Manual Judge model?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the carb was used for the 1969 GTO RAM AIR III, RAM AIR IV & the 1969 FIREBIRD RAM AIR IV,
Thank you for the reply. There is no julian date by the model number. Is the number on the base plate the date code? Also wondering if the date code could show what set up this was originally put on in 1969. Any info is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
Thank you for the reply. There is no julian date by the model number. Is the number on the base plate the date code? Also wondering if the date code could show what set up this was originally put on in 1969. Any info is appreciated.
From 1966 thru the late 1970's Carter Carburetors was contracted to build the Quadrajets for GM, Sometimes, no Julian Date indicates the carb was built by Carter and not Rochester. As far as the set up here is a breakdown on the code;

702 = 1960's
9 = 1969
2 = Quadrajet (4 bbl) 49 state Federal standards
7 = Pontiac
3= Manual Transmission (odd numbers are manual transmissions and even numbers are automatics)

Post some pictures if you can,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post some pictures if you can,
Supposedly some early 1969 original Rochesters had the date code on the throttle body by the rear mounting hole (driver's side). This carburetor has the code 41 Y 1 The 1 is below the Y. I tried uploading a photo (and resizing many times) but keeps rejecting it. here is a link to the date code write up i'm referring too: THE CARBURETOR SHOP / Rochester quadrajet markings

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Supposedly some early 1969 original Rochesters had the date code on the throttle body by the rear mounting hole (driver's side). This carburetor has the code 41 Y 1 The 1 is below the Y. I tried uploading a photo (and resizing many times) but keeps rejecting it. here is a link to the date code write up i'm referring too: THE CARBURETOR SHOP / Rochester quadrajet markings
That number, if I am reading the article correctly, does not match either the Carter or Rochester date code. Maybe the carb was rebuilt at some point and a different base was used?

Do you know for a fact the carb is original? I ask because the prices these carbs fetch, there are those who will restamp a carb to get the higher price they command. And again, if it were ever sent out for a rebuild or rebuilt by an owner, parts could have been swapped around as the throttle shafts/bores can get a little sloppy and a base in better condition could have been used - something I used to do. :yesnod:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts