Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a tool to adjust the idle screws on a 65 tripower center carb? I have a buddy with a flexible screwdriver from the 1960s that will fit around the front carb and it works well. I've looked everywhere and all the flexible screwdrivers now come with a 1 1/2 inch socket adaptor on the end for different bits and it won't bend enough on the end to reach the screws.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Does anyone make a tool to adjust the idle screws on a 65 tripower center carb? I have a buddy with a flexible screwdriver from the 1960s that will fit around the front carb and it works well. I've looked everywhere and all the flexible screwdrivers now come with a 1 1/2 inch socket adaptor on the end for different bits and it won't bend enough on the end to reach the screws.
This one sure looks like it would work. Might have to grind down the bit end where it seats into the flex shaft, but I don't see why it would not work? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stalwart-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-with-Flex-Shaft-30-Piece-75-43200/206530723?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D25T|25-1_HAND+TOOLS|NA|PLA|71700000034127224|58700003933021546|92700031755124838&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2OKNrsfj3AIVBnZeCh2V4Af_EAQYASABEgIhPPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM6yurTH49wCFUwLDAodyNUABw

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I have one. The same one I've had since 1981. It's made by Blue-Point (Snap-on). It comes with various socket ends...slot head, hex, even an allen for dwell adjustment on GM distributors. Have used it a thousand (or more) times on as many cars. Really gets in there with ease on any tight carb set-up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought one from Napa but it didn't work. I have a very skinny flat head with a long shafts that works for me. It's one of those screwdrivers that looks like it belongs in the trash can but it has its purpose, lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried 3 of those with the Home Depot type socket and they just won't squeeze in there behind the front carb.I'll try the Blue Point.
Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Curious what you find as I have been struggling with the same problem....After I rebuilt the carbs I added the port for brake vacuum and installed the factory brake vacuum line off the front carb, making the adjustment even harder.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Goat Roper, that's exactly the one I've been using for the past 37 years. And back then, I paid about $60 for it, so for $69 in 2018, it's a heck of a good deal. It really does a great job on tight screws, and makes dwell adjustment a snap.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Tri-Power carb adjusting

I had the same issues with my 66 tri-power setup.
This is what worked for me.
I really am happy with it.

Motion Pro 08-0229 1/4" 90 Degree Hex Driver

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good afternoon. Back in the days when these cars were newer and multiple carbs more plentiful we made adjustment tools from extra speedo cable. Quick to do and pretty much free. Take about a foot of inner cable. Clean it good and tin it with plumbers solder. Forge it into a screwdriver blade on a vise with a hammer. Retin and shape on a grinder. Then take a section of old metal fuel tube and make an outer housing bent to fit between or around whatever is in the way. Slide the cable down the tube and adjust away. Sometimes I'd use welding brass instead of solder. And sometimes I'd make a loop at the top so I could twist is easier.If you have some foresight you'll make the tubing so it slips around the screw head holding the blade in the slot. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts