Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any carpet recommendations? Seems like quite a few company's out there. Which manufacturer has a better quality, fit etc.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Order through Legendary Auto Interiors. I don't think they actually make the carpet, but their seat covers are the best there are and as a whole the company is very persnickety about quality. You won't regret it.

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
And, when you get the old carpet out, compare it to the new one. Many companies offer 'untrimmed' carpet sets that leave a little more room on the edges for a better fit at the sills and the dash/rear seat area. Measure several times before you cut. Also, think about upgrading to a heat/sound barrier material such as Frost King or Fat Matt before you lay down the new carpet. I wish the stuff was available when I did my carpets decades ago.....

·
Registered
727 Posts
The last 4 carpets I bought all came from ACC (Automotive Custom Carpets), even if they were ordered from one of the Pontiac restoration suppliers, "stockinteriors.com", JCWhitney or directly from ACC..

I always order the heavier backing and also recommend using a thermal/noise barrier like geeteeohguy recommended. On my 68 GTO, I used a roofing product from Home Depot or Lowes (don't remember where I bought it). It comes in 4" or 9" wide rolls and was easy to apply. It really helps block heat coming through the firewall & floor. Dynamat is another great choice, but it's much more expensive.

Excellent advice about comparing old to new and measuring multiple times before cutting!

It also helps to let the carpet "relax" in the hot sun before installation.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just installed the one offered from Ames in my 67 GTO last week. The upholstery guy who did it has been in the business for over 30 years and said that the kit is as good as they get. Pre molded and made of the finest material.

I would order again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts