Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the car over month ago with no way to get it home (it had been mostly dissembled). I ended up buying an enclosed trailer off the same guy just so I could get it home. The car is still in the trailer sitting in the yard.

I got a 400 from another guy in need of being rebuilt. I have no way to lift it off the back of my truck.

I spent this past weekend installing a 100 amp service to my garage. From there I hung 5 8' flourscient lights, 3 recepticles, a couple of light switches, and left room for a 20 amp and 30 amp 240 VAC circuits (thinking a welder and air compressor in my future). Everything is encased in 1/2" conduit and I went a bit crazy with the hangers ect (I'm an electrician by trade, but I do controls, not construction).

I pulled the meter base cover and made sure I had enough room to snake the wires through to the panel in the house (I didn't want to punch a hole through the block wall). Now all that is left is running the big wires.

I did power up the panel using the extension cord to make sure I installed everything right and nothing went 'pop' when power was put to it.

So now I am ready to move my car into the garage and assess what needs to be completed next (besides buying a lift to get the engine out of my truck).

:willy:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dewar's for the masses!

How did you get the engine INTO the back of the truck. Did the PO put it there for you, and if so, maybe he'll let you borrow the hoist (for a fee, perhaps?) I borrowed a hoist from a friend. He didn't want any $$, so I gave him a couple-o-bottles-o-Dewar's! Sometimes, you have to get a little creative! :D (Should fit right in the back with the engine there already).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL @ hoist. He used a tractor and he lives 40 miles away.

I'll figure something out.

I'd like to install an I-Beam in my garage and hang a rolling chainfall from it.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
You can rent or "borrow" a hoist at some NAPA stores or Harbor Freight has some pretty good deals on them, just don't but a light duty one, make sure it has plenty of beef and swivel casters.:cheers

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
We have a community cherry picker that makes its rounds, whoever needs it comes and grabs it and it stays at that garage until someone else needs it. Came in handy this weekend moving to the new shop 40 feet away on crushed gravel drive.

As for the cart before the horse let me give you a time line, mine was on a truck from Idaho to Michigan before i even told the wife i bought it...LOL. Went from basic set of wrenches/sockets to two 3' rolling carts. Decided to do bodywork/paint myself...new compressor spray guns and another 3' rolling cart full of body shop tools. So now the car won't fit in the 2.5 car garage with all the tools in it...build a 1500 sq.ft pole barn with 1/2 loft so the wife can have her parking spot back in the garage. Rescue a 89' fox body mustang from the crusher, accumulate Mustang parts...to go along with the 4'x8'x8' high shelf holding all the pontiac "extras" including a spare 455 and virgin 400 and the original 326, a chevy 12 bolt rearend and dual quads from the Tempest build. And this is all over a 3 year span.

I just moved into the new shop this weekend. Wife found a sign in the garage that the girls brought home from camp that said "NO VEHICLES" which i quickly customized by adding "more than 7" between the two words and hung on the wall, (which is the amount that the shop will hold when i get a two post lift to jack one to the ceiling). She's a good sport though she spent Sunday helping me tear down and inspect the Mustang motor. These things are addicting, be careful !!!

Welcome to the forum, don't be afraid to ask for help we have all been there. Lots of ways to make do with what you have or can borrow.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I used to rent breakdown cherry picker engine hoists from a local equipment rental company. It sure was $12 well spent!! The whole thing comes apart for easy transport.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked up an engine stand today off of Craigslist and ordered a 2-ton engine hoist off the internet. It will be here tomorrow afternoon. I'll offload the engine from the back of my truck where is has been strapped in since I bought it.

My 100amp wiring arrived today while I was at work so it looks like everything is coming together to have the car unloaded and into the newly electrified garage. It's finally all coming together.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a '64 Lemans 6-banger automatic. Long story short, botched paint job left the guy with a bad taste in his mouth and he let the car go for a next to nothing. I picked it up completely gutted except the drivetrain. Everything is there except the gas tank and the headliner. It has buckets, console, and air. Factory colors were bronze/bronze.

Since the car is not what I would consider a collectable I feel no remorse for replacing the 6 with a 400, swapping out the auto for a Muncie, and doing a color change from bronze to blue (both inside and out).

My plans include pulling the body off the frame and sending the frame off for sandblasting and powder coating. I'll clean up the rear end and replace the springs. The front might get tubular control arms but will get disk brakes to replace the drums. I'll then add sway bars front and rear. Once the suspension is in place I'll set the motor and transmission then replace the brake lines.

I don't have any big plans for the body, just to get it straight then painted. The interior will go back original except for a modern stereo.

No cloning for me either, it will proudly wear it's Lemans badging.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Cool....do the brake lines before you put the motor in much easier, check Inline tube in Michigan for the stock bent lines.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Last of the few great ones...

I just received my new parking brake cable from Inline (and reading the brochure about 20 minutes ago) about their methods and materials used and judging from the quality, I'd recommend them for anything! Excellent ALL AMERICAN company!!! :cheers What are you going to do with the old 6?

·
Registered
554 Posts
-3.7 mpg

Yes. I am going to pull the 455 out and install a 6. Being trapped in this impoverished economy, and all, it seems like the only logical thing to do to squeeze the most mpg out of this vehicle. :eek: Conserve, conserve, conserve, you know! :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hmmmm, sounds like an even swap is in order. Ok, ok.. .maybe a little cash to sweeten the pot. I'll swap with you if you throw in another $50 :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts