Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69, 400 engine with a carter afb carb. It looks like that year didn't come with a carter carb but 67 did.

I found a thread on another forum that discusses where carter carbs are marked, stamped on the casting or on a tab. Neither of those is an option on this carb.

My question is how do I figure out what rebuild kit to get without a part number? I can assume someone put a 67 carb on it but how do I even know it was from another 400? There seem to be a lot of other cars that used carter 4 bbls.

If someone can tell me all carter overhaul kits fit all carter carbs, I'll be happy but i can't find any information like that anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
I have a 69, 400 engine with a carter afb carb. It looks like that year didn't come with a carter carb but 67 did.

I found a thread on another forum that discusses where carter carbs are marked, stamped on the casting or on a tab. Neither of those is an option on this carb.

My question is how do I figure out what rebuild kit to get without a part number? I can assume someone put a 67 carb on it but how do I even know it was from another 400? There seem to be a lot of other cars that used carter 4 bbls.

If someone can tell me all carter overhaul kits fit all carter carbs, I'll be happy but i can't find any information like that anywhere.
No Carb number??

Try calling these folks and explaining your situation. I got my rebuild kit from them.

http://www.gesslerheadporting.com/gesslerheadporting/ghp.nsf/822dcaaaa26c6da985256dd80023623d/a661ef84a4b8f9f6852574fd005f54f8!OpenDocument

·
Registered
711 Posts
Are you certain it's an AFB? Not that you don't know the difference, but many people see the word "Carter" and assume it's an AFB because that's the carb that Carter is known for. When GM started building the Quadrajet, the Rochester factory wasn't able to keep up with the demand. GM subcontracted to Carter to build a huge number of Quadrajets in order to meet the production needs. These Quadrajets say "Carter" on them, yet they take a "Rochester" Quadrajet carb kit. Make sure you do indeed have a square bore versus a spreadbore, to know that it's an AFB.

Just a thought...

Chuck

·
Registered
70 Posts
If it is a Carter carb and you can not find any markings it is most likely because it is an "off the shelf" carb. Meaning it was not manufactured for GM and most likely will not have any numbers on it.
I personally do not like them. You end up seeing a lot of them because they are cheap to buy compared to a Holly and a fraction of the cost of the correct Rochester carb.
They are very crude in thier construction and operation in my opinion.
I don't think that there are any huge differences between most models of the Carter. If you post up a picture I'm sure someone could probably give you an idea of what you have there.
The 67 GTO 400 did not use the Carter design carb either. It used a Rochester carb for the first time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts