Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone here, who has actually done the work his self, please tell me why the book says it's a 3.7 hour R&R? Looks more like a hour & half????

I am going to do the change out myself (mechanic for 40 years) with the new Tic Performance Kit.

THX,

Rick

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
If you do it in an hour and a half you're Superman and have a lift. Just taking the shifter off is a bit of a project and I'd advise swapping that out with a better one as long as you're in there. A direct shifter is heads above the sloppy stock one if that's what you still have and it would be a good time to swap trans fluid with new GM Dex as you can easily pour the 4.6 qts in through the top instead of slopping it all over through the reverse switch. A remote bleeder is a must IMHO. It makes it so easy to bleed and you can then easily swap fluid top to bottom on a regular basis to keep it clean and the slave seals from leaking.

Steps:
Remove exhaust
Remove drive shaft
drop trans cross member
take off at least part of shifter
remove electric plugs from trans
remove 8 trans bolts and pull
remove bell housing
remove clutch, pressure plate and pilot bearing
inspect rear main seal
change trans fluid
install pilot bearing, pp and clutch with new bolts (preferably ARP)
REPLACE SLAVE with new one
measure for compressed TOB to trans face distance and pp fingers to bell housing face to make sure you don't need to shim slave
reinstall everything else and bleed

I think an expert could maybe do that in 3 hours if they flew and had no issues 4-6 hours for anyone else and if you're on your back in the garage 4-8 hours.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
He was asking about the clutch master, not the slave. Good write up though.
LOL. Reading is hard. I had a public education. :) Good luck on the master. I hope he's doing it because the old one was leaking. It is a royal PITA and if he does in in an hour and a half I hope he posts up how he did it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have'nt done it yet....was just inquiring as to why it takes 3-4 hours?
Found a guy on here that does it routinely in 2 hrs (says he's done 35 so far).

"thewrench"

My GTO only has 35K miles ....hopefully I am another 100K miles away from needing to replace the clutch.

Rick

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Have'nt done it yet....was just inquiring as to why it takes 3-4 hours?
Found a guy on here that does it routinely in 2 hrs (says he's done 35 so far).

"thewrench"

My GTO only has 35K miles ....hopefully I am another 100K miles away from needing to replace the clutch.

Rick
It's tight fetting in there. I guess at 35 he is getting good. I know after pulling my trans 6-8 times I got a lot better. The first time was 8 hours. If you're on the stock clutch you're driving pretty easy on it. I wasted mine at 18k. :)

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Are you replacing with a stock master, or a Tick. I highly recommend the Tick.
If you use it, you need to elongate the two mounting hole in the master cyl
mount. You need to install the fitting on the end and with the holes slightly slotted, you can tilt it enough to work it in place. I just worked a drill bit
side to side in the holes. The bolts in the aluminum adapter mount are a
b!tch, also.
I got 195,409 mile before the slave cyl took a dump. The clutch plate sill looked good and would probably went another 50k. I drive hard, but don't abuse it too much.:wink3:

Larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts