Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like the average oil monkey messing with my car but short of digging a pit or having a lift put in my warehouse, I'm not sure of the best way to go about changing my own oil and filter. I'd appreciate suggestions from those that have done it on their GTO. Do drive-on ramps lift it high enough to crawl under?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Gotagoat said:
I don't like the average oil monkey messing with my car but short of digging a pit or having a lift put in my warehouse, I'm not sure of the best way to go about changing my own oil and filter. I'd appreciate suggestions from those that have done it on their GTO. Do drive-on ramps lift it high enough to crawl under?
I haven't changed my own oil on a car in at least 20 years, but like you, I'm going to be the one doing it on the goat. I'm also putting in Amsoil synthetic in the differential and tranny.

I have wheel ramps and jacks stands both. I'm sure that both will do the trick...and I'm going to get a real nice floor jack to raise her up. The hardest part about the oil change will be removing the skid plate from the bottom of the car. That thing looked heavy. The only problem I've had with drive-on ramps is that they tended to squirt out from underneath the car on a slick garage surface when I tried to put my Monte Carlo on them. If there's a trick to eliminating that problem, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Oh yeah...and I have two nice click type torque wrenches. I don't want to strip anything out.

Gerry

·
Registered
479 Posts
The company I have is called ultra ramps. You will need to get the ramp extensions for the extra height to clear the front bumper. This also helps with the ramps slipping away. The ramps may still slip, but it happens way less often. Also next time I change my oil I will be using a small pump to pump the rest of the oil out of the back of the pan since on a set of ramps the drain plug is about halfway back on the side of the pan all of the oil won't drain out. By the way Shoddyhog the skid plate is no problem. I was expecting some extra work, but just take out 3 of the bolts and loosen the last and just swing the skid plate to the side.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gotagoat said:
".... I'd appreciate suggestions from those that have done it on their GTO. Do drive-on ramps lift it high enough to crawl under?"

Your local Pep Boys nearly always has a set of ramps on sale for between $20 and $30. They're just right.

Mine have a little rubber on the bottom to help keep them from sliding. But just to be safe, I use a couple of old "throw rugs" to put under the ramps.

If you put the ramps near the end of your driveway - so that you're facing a little downhill - you'll end up with plenty of room to crawl under and the car will be mostly level so it will drain more without using a pump. Just make sure you use the red wheel chocks that are in with your spare to make sure the car doesn't roll while you're under it. :eek:

Even with the ramps on level ground, I've always gotten 6+ quarts out of the pan.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've yet to have my GTO delivered yet (still in transit somewhere), but is the filter easy to see and get to? I've always done my own but have yet to even see it on this car with the hood open (haven't looked underneath one yet)

·
Registered
57 Posts
TexasAggie said:
I've yet to have my GTO delivered yet (still in transit somewhere), but is the filter easy to see and get to? I've always done my own but have yet to even see it on this car with the hood open (haven't looked underneath one yet)

Very easy to see and very easy to get to .... once you swing the skid plate out of the way.

As socal mentioned, just remove 3 bolts (I leave the right rear one in) and swing the plate.

The filter is vertical so it's easy to fill the new filter without spilling the oil when you put it on.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wizard Of Iz said:
Very easy to see and very easy to get to .... once you swing the skid plate out of the way.

As socal mentioned, just remove 3 bolts (I leave the right rear one in) and swing the plate.

The filter is vertical so it's easy to fill the new filter without spilling the oil when you put it on.
Ditto. These guys stole my technique..... :D

You can do it yourself in a quarter of the time any lube would take. And done right to boot.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sorry I got that advice off this forum. Thinking back now Groucho suggested it when I asked if I should get the slp skidplate so the oil change would be easier. If it is easy and it works I will use that method.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MeanGoat said:
Ditto. These guys stole my technique..... :D

You can do it yourself in a quarter of the time any lube would take. And done right to boot.

Stupid question. If it's verticle (all of my cars have been horizontal), does that mean if it takes 5 qts total that you fill as much as you can in the filter and add the rest to the engine?? (it may take 6 qts...just a guess since I don't have mine yet):confused

·
Registered
57 Posts
TexasAggie2 said:
Stupid question. If it's verticle (all of my cars have been horizontal), does that mean if it takes 5 qts total that you fill as much as you can in the filter and add the rest to the engine?? (it may take 6 qts...just a guess since I don't have mine yet):confused

On a complete drain and fill the LS2 requires 6.5 qts. Yes, your presumption is pretty accurate. I usually use 6 qts between the filter and the crankcase, then run the engine for a few minutes and check the oil level before I add the last half-quart.

"Old School" mechanics (like my Dad) used to say you were better off running an engine a half-quart low than all the way full. And certainly not over-filled.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Since the filter goes on vertically put the half quart of oil into the filter before screwing it in to save some time. I have never had a horizontal filter so I am not sure if this works on this application that is why I am saying this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also if your car is anything like mine watch out for the edges around the filter. My hand slipped off and took a chunk of skin. I also had a BIG problems taking the filter off, tried by hand then by wrench then by hand with sandpaper for grip then finally put the sandpaper on and forced the oil wrench over the sanpaper and it finally came out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Mity-Vac pneumatic oil evacuator I use on the BMW. You run a line down the dipstick hole, pump it up and it pulls the oil out of the pan. Since the BMW has the oil filter on the top of the engine it makes for a quick oil change.

Has anyone ever tried using one of these evacuators on a LS2 engine, or since I have to go under the car to get at the filter, is it just a waste of time?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.