Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped in a dodge dealership to peak at the charger, no thanks. I was there for two seconds and three sales men came out to check the goat out. They told me the charger pretty much sucks. I don't think they had the 6.1 there. They told me to take one out and to let them try mine, I said no tanks a sedan doesnt look very fun. They said when I change my mind to come back. And yes they have not sold one yet.

·
Registered
937 Posts
yamaal14 said:
Stopped in a dodge dealership to peak at the charger, no thanks. I was there for two seconds and three sales men came out to check the goat out. They told me the charger pretty much sucks. I don't think they had the 6.1 there. They told me to take one out and to let them try mine, I said no tanks a sedan doesnt look very fun. They said when I change my mind to come back. And yes they have not sold one yet.
Not suprising considering the cheap look the interior of that thing has. From what I have heard the 6.1 SRT-8 package isnt available yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Given the success of the Magnum I really thought the Charger would be a slam dunk...

Then I saw it.

I don't think the problem is that it's four doors. The Magnum is a station wagon and it's selling like crazy.

The Charger is just too damn ugly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't think its that ugly; Its just slow (and heavy), even the Hemi.
The SRT is the only one I would consider buying, even then not seriously because its not as well made as a GTO.

I guess I am a minority here that likes the idea of 4 doors and wish there were sucide doors on the rear of the GTO to make the back seat more accessible.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
diverdan said:
I don't think its that ugly; Its just slow (and heavy), even the Hemi.
The SRT is the only one I would consider buying, even then not seriously because its not as well made as a GTO.

I guess I am a minority here that likes the idea of 4 doors and wish there were sucide doors on the rear of the GTO to make the back seat more accessible.
:agree

As long as they keep the coupe shape, and don't go to some funky roofline like the RX-8.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just for kicks (well I thought it would be for kicks), the Sat. morning after I began negotiations for my goat and before I went to the Pontiac dealer to (as the Sales Manager said..beat him up).. i stopped by and looked at and drove a charger... slap stick automatic i didn't like (more fun to manual shift my 02 v6 camaro), i really think they are ugly...... the interior was cheap looking to me.. reminded me of old car interior (no retro.. the old look back in the 60's or 70's).. wasn't impressed at all but at least not to offend salesman got on the interstate.. when i said not really what i wanted and was going to try to close deal on the goat... he understood,, they (the dealership) wasn't impressed with the charger.... but he was impressed by goat... even reading some reviews that dog it more than they do our goats... i really had hoped it would have been more than i experience... i kind of like the magnum for some reason... it's a cool looking wagon... but.. i'm glad i've got the goat... and 2 days after making the first payment.. i'm still glad... lol

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well shortyly after it came out I stopped by the local Dodge dealership to check our the new Charger. I'm a big fan of the old sport-coupe chargers that used to be around, almost as much as the old and new GTO. This new thing though... well it sucks to say something nice about it.

First off, you can tell Dodge didn't make a new vehichle here. All the did was take the new 05 300, and crap it down some to make it cheaper and a bit idfferent looking. It clearly doesn't look anything like a muscle car should I think. The new 300 (and me being an owner of the old style 300M) looked bad to me at first, but then grew on me. This new Charger however doesn't have anything to back up the bad looks at first. The inside has cheap plastics panels and jsut plastic in other places that really make me not like it. Clearly the sucker in its current state isn't very fast, but I'm not sure even the 6.1L will be a rocket itself either. It definately doesn't appear to be the most slick aerodynamic looking car ever. And it is heavier then the GTO (though not by much... just sooo much plastic), so I really don't think we're going to have much to worry about in competition.

Dodge... you seriously let a lot of people down with your reincarnation of the Charger I think.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If Dodge times are to be believed, the SRT has similar acceleration times to the '05 GTO (they report even faster, I think). When some SRT 6.1s get on the road, we'll find out how true that is. As far as weight, the Charger weighs somewhere around 4100-4300 lbs vs 3700 for the goat. Thats alot of mass to move around.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The new GTO was ridiculed by the press and enthusiast alike for not being true to GTO heritage. This Dodge is just as bad. Dodge wants us to believe it has styling elements from the original Chargers, but the rear quarter “hips” and sloping backlight are only the faintest elements, and they are about all there are. There are those 4 doors too.

On it’s own, not counting the heritage, the Charger is a decent large RWD sedan. Big and roomy, comfortable, powerful. For a $29K base price, it isn’t bad. Interior is a little drab color-wise, and a little on the less expensive side. However, that isn’t hurting the Magnum, so it really isn’t an issue here. The car is not meant to be a luxury car, and what you lose in fancy dashboard plastic is made up for in the excellent chassis and hemi power. That is a good tradeoff IMO. Anyone who is concerned about getting a better interior can always get the 300C.

I think sales will pick up with time. Like the GTO, there is going to be an initial backlash from the press picking on the lack of retro styling, the 4 doors, and all and that will hurt initial sales. However, once they start hitting the streets word will get around that they are actually good at what they are supposed to be. A quick, roomy, big 4 door car. Sales will pick up.

They should have just kept either the Intrepid name, or gave it a new name and came out with a 2 door version with more retro-ish styling to label as “Charger.”

·
Registered
50 Posts
Poor sales on the new Charger??? I drive a Semi for a living and am in all parts of the Country. Let me tell you, I see those Dodges EVERYWHERE!!! I swear I see more new Chargers than I do '05 GT Mustangs and GTs are about as rare as Starbucks franchises... If a Salesman cant move a Charger off the lot... He must have bad B.O. or somthing...

·
Registered
51 Posts
eldodroptop said:
Poor sales on the new Charger??? I drive a Semi for a living and am in all parts of the Country. Let me tell you, I see those Dodges EVERYWHERE!!! I swear I see more new Chargers than I do '05 GT Mustangs and GTs are about as rare as Starbucks franchises... If a Salesman cant move a Charger off the lot... He must have bad B.O. or somthing...
Makes me wonder how many Dodge has already dumped into rental fleets. The sent a bunch of 300's to rental fleets right away.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
As I stated in an earlier post...The new Charger is a disgrace to the heritage of the "Dodge Charger." It's an abortion. I keep hearing the GTO is not retro..... The GTO is RETRO.... It may not have the looks of retro... but it has the guts. That's retro enough for me. Look at the Mustang, it has the looks of retro but not the guts.... The Charger has neither. The Charger is going to be a bust. Had the designers went with the concept vehicle, they would not be able to keep them in the lots. I looked at 4 of them, they got uglier the more I looked at them. They really do look like pissed off frogs. Look for huge discounts on them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's in the eye of the beholder.

I don't think the new Charger looks bad at all from the outside. I've got to admire Chrysler for taking some styling risks with their new cars. Consider this: no one will mistake a new Charger for a damned Grand Am.

I'm not a fan of gray plastic interiors though. Why in the world does Chrysler just offer several shades of gray inside?

The new Hemi is as stout as the over-rated 440 was during the sixties. The new Charger should run as hard as the old one; maybe even a little harder.

I think the Mustang is outselling the GTO about 20 to 1 for the '05 model year. Some of the difference is due to price, but most of it is due to the good looks of the Mustang. The Ford is behind in power and suspension. However, Ford evidently hit a home run with their sheet metal styling.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yes, the new Mustang's looks are being received very well by the masses, but that's mostly because the masses are IDIOTS.

Anyway, Dodge still seriously screwed up the new Charger. Take a side by side camparison picture for each of the 3 cars... both the old model and the new. Does the Mustang look like it's predecessor? Too much so :rolleyes:
Does the GTO look like it's predecessor? Suprisingly yes.
Does the Charger... no, no, and ummm well mayb.... nah.

And sadly the new SET-8, even with it's reported 425hp and near that torque, still won't have enough power to keep up with the goat in real life. I don't really think 25hp more is enough to compensate for a good 600lbs more in weight. Remember, Dodge reporting run times close to the GTO's is them reporting those numbers based on the lowest they could possibly get. We don't know exactly what may have been "slightly modified" for the run tests to make the car faster... cause come on we know almost every company does it once in awhile.

I'm mainly just saying all this because like I stated before, I'm ticked off that Dodge screwed up a car that I loved so much. Not as much as the old goat mind you, but I was still a big fan of it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
"I think the Mustang is outselling the GTO about 20 to 1 for the '05 model year."

One other reason you see so many Mustangs .....they're packin' a V-6...
I know the GT is a hot seller, but most of the 20 to 1 you speak of are not V-8 muscle cars. I had a 66 Mustang GT. ( 289 Hi-Po ) so I'm not really anti-"ferd". The more I see the new Mustangs the more I dislike the new HOOD. It looks out of balance compared to the old Mustangs. It reminds me of the Barbra Steisand of Mustangs. Kind of sexy at first glance but twenty years older and it LOOKS LIKE IT NEEDS A NOSE JOB...

You can make all the cracks you wish about the "Pontiac" face of the GTO...BUT the GTO's are well proportioned vehicles..I still do not get tired of looking at my Goat. It's a good looking car, even if it has a few ugly cousins, the GTO will still look good ten years down the road !!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just to add to the mix : SRT-8 has sticker of $45K+ and those dealer greed-ups and gas guzzler and tax/title.... Thats Corvette range and Don't think many Parents will buy kids a 55k Charger so that leaves X's and BB's for demographics.
Maybe the Challenger with get a SRT-10 treatment. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
jerrybramlett said:
I don't think the new Charger looks bad at all from the outside. I've got to admire Chrysler for taking some styling risks with their new cars. Consider this: no one will mistake a new Charger for a damned Grand Am.

I'm not a fan of gray plastic interiors though. Why in the world does Chrysler just offer several shades of gray inside?

The new Hemi is as stout as the over-rated 440 was during the sixties. The new Charger should run as hard as the old one; maybe even a little harder.

I think the Mustang is outselling the GTO about 20 to 1 for the '05 model year. Some of the difference is due to price, but most of it is due to the good looks of the Mustang. The Ford is behind in power and suspension. However, Ford evidently hit a home run with their sheet metal styling.[/QUOTE
Why do people bust on the Grand-Am? What's wrong with it? I think it's hotter looking than 2/3's of the cars on the road. And it runs like a champ. It's quick, fast, and handles great. MPG is outstanding. It's a proven high quality car. I'd put my wife's up against most on the road. It's a shame they were discontinued for the G-6. BIG MISTAKE. The G-6 is lacking sporty-ness , but yet they are selling like mad.......Are GTO owners pissed cause a**holes mistake it the GTO for a Grand-AM? Big deal. They look nothing a like. As a matter of fact the front of the GTO looks more like the Grand-Prix. Take a look next time you're on the road. When a Grand-Prix approaches you, for a split second you'd think it's a GTO. Pontiac's look like Pontiac's.
I like the retro look of the Mustang. What I don't like is the price gouging they are doing... 5k over dealer invoice. The reason they are outselling GTO is because they are flooding the market with them. As I stated previously, give it a year, and see what the worth of them are. GM's marketing ploy is to keep demand high, and quantities limited so yours, and mine will retain its high value and not depreciate like the Mustang. Used car lots will be overwhelmed with Mustangs in a few years, and you'll be able to pick one up cheap. Bet ya won't pick up a GTO cheap.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Xcommuter said:
Just to add to the mix : SRT-8 has sticker of $45K+ and those dealer greed-ups and gas guzzler and tax/title.... Thats Corvette range and Don't think many Parents will buy kids a 55k Charger so that leaves X's and BB's for demographics.
Maybe the Challenger with get a SRT-10 treatment. :D
Add on to that the fact the SRT-8 will get IF YOU'RE VERY EASY ON IT (meaning you don't go heavy on the acceleration much at all) about 14mpg... high ass gas bill anyone?

Expect the average "agressive driving" mpg to be say what? 6mpg?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.