Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am sure this topic has been discussed to death but I am putting it out there.
Just got the frame back from sand blasting and want to paint it. Any suggestions on what is the best product to use and why.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Up under the 'search' dropdown bar type in frame paint (or something of that nature. You will find a number of different threads that will answer your questions. It's all good reading.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
NAPA carries Martin Senor Paints with their NAPA name on it, their underhood paint is the exact same color as Eastwoods for far less money. I had some Eastowood underhood paint and ran out and got NAPA's the colors were identical and the flow was nice and even.

Duplicolor paints go on nice too, I used their Engine paint and it works great.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Originally, from what I've researched, the frames had a thin coat of blackish paint that rubbed off easily. Both of my unrestored cars have what looks like bare metal frames. Maybe a slight hint of black paint here and there. Every non restored original GTO frame I've seen looks like mine: bare. if I were to due a frame off, I would probably use Rustoleum semi-goss or low gloss black. I've used it on diffs, suspension parts, and my Model T frame, and the stuff looks right, is cheap and available, and it tough. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
depends if your doing concours or you want it to last. if the latter try POR-15 a 1 part paint that actually get harder when exposed to moisture- I am in the north east where cars rot- I did not want this to happen to this car (65) after restoration so I did some research and was also turned onto this product by my tech who swears by it. If you are not going to powder coat this is the next best thing- I did the frame,diff, the whole bottom of the car, firewall, radiator support, inner fenders, and any thing else I could slap it onto. Its about $130 per gallon but I did all those parts with 1 gallon- if you only are doing the frame 1 qt is PLENTY. All of those parts were brushed no spraying. I went with gloss for easy cleaning but they also make flat and semi gloss and different colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
depends if your doing concours or you want it to last. if the latter try POR-15 a 1 part paint that actually get harder when exposed to moisture- I am in the north east where cars rot- I did not want this to happen to this car (65) after restoration so I did some research and was also turned onto this product by my tech who swears by it. If you are not going to powder coat this is the next best thing- I did the frame,diff, the whole bottom of the car, firewall, radiator support, inner fenders, and any thing else I could slap it onto. Its about $130 per gallon but I did all those parts with 1 gallon- if you only are doing the frame 1 qt is PLENTY. All of those parts were brushed no spraying. I went with gloss for easy cleaning but they also make flat and semi gloss and different colors.

Did you use just the regular Por 15 or did you add a top coat for UV protection

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I went with the POR15. I did some research on the Eastwood product and the reviews were very good, the only problem, I live in Canada and the shipping time was something like a month so I opted for the Por15. I did the POR15 rust paint then added a top coat with UV protectant just to be on the safe side of things, it turned out rather nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Very Nice. Gotta ask, where is the best(cheapest) place to by this stuff?
You can get it on ebay the cheapest, and it's not cheap. But it seals rusts and doesn't let air to it, so it's a forever repair! So, it's worth the money, especially around the windows, places prone to rust. I coated the inside of my quarters as they were rusting from the inside out, hopefully it will stop the rust. It is more than just paint.
I've heard it's better than powdercoating, as you can't repair Powdercoat, por-15 you can't knock off with a chissel.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
You can get it on ebay the cheapest, and it's not cheap. But it seals rusts and doesn't let air to it, so it's a forever repair! So, it's worth the money, especially around the windows, places prone to rust. I coated the inside of my quarters as they were rusting from the inside out, hopefully it will stop the rust. It is more than just paint.
I've heard it's better than powdercoating, as you can't repair Powdercoat, por-15 you can't knock off with a chissel.
:agree:D

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Yeah, I've been looking at that stuff for awhile. I know it aint cheap. I guess that's why I haven't pulled the pin yet. Looking to use it mainly on the frame. It's not bad or anything, just want to clean it up a little and POR15 seems to be the way to do it without a frameoff....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I've been looking at that stuff for awhile. I know it aint cheap. I guess that's why I haven't pulled the pin yet. Looking to use it mainly on the frame. It's not bad or anything, just want to clean it up a little and POR15 seems to be the way to do it without a frameoff....

I paid $55 a quart, I painted the frame as well as the diff and I still have probably enough to paint the firewall.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I used rattle can semi gloss on my 454 SS, and wasn't happy with the durability of the finish. I did my Lemans with High gloss Dupont acrlic enamel with hardener on the frame rails and fenderwells, installed the motor, not one chip, super hard paint. I wish I would of got semi gloss, but looks good, may repaint the fenderwells with semi. Normal spray gun paint works great and better than spray bombs. I would use POR-15 for hard to reach, limited access areas, 1 time only spots due to the cost, but it's worth it. If you don't paint with a gun, get a good harbour tool gun and pick someones brain on using it with real paint, the results are more long lasting and you can clean them like you would an exterior paint job. The quart of dupont black and a gallon of thinner was $80, so POR 15 is not that expensive compared to gun paint, plus I already had the hardener-$30.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only thing I was a little concerned about was the drying time.
The rust paint take a fair bit of time to cure(24 hours) but it does cure with a good shine. The top coat drys ultra fast. It was drying in less than 30 minutes.
You have to look at how much you get done with the 1 quart of Por 15, I managed to do the entire frame and diff and as I said earlier, there is likely enough to do the entire fire wall. So at $55 Canadian, likely cheaper in the USA, it is really not a bad deal.
FYI, when doing this job, make sure you have latex gloves and long pants and shirt, other wise you will be wearing this stuff for a few weeks. I was wearing shorts and now I look like a Dalmation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts