Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the little things that annoyed me about my '67 LeMans was the cigarette lighter didn't work (yeah, I smoke, and I also like to use a radar detector occasionally). I was getting steady 12V to the housing, and I bought a repro element from OPG, but I never could get it to work with the factory housing, which was pretty corroded inside and one of the contacts was gone. I believe my car is the Rochester style lighter and housing....it's the spring-loaded pop-out style. Anyhow, while poking around in the auto section at Wal-Mart, I saw a lighter and housing that looked like it might work, so I though what the heck, it was only $2.94. Well, it works perfectly... it has the screw-on retainer similar to the original, it fits the lighter bezel and dash hole perfectly, and the black plastic knob even screws off and my original knob screwed right in and fit perfect. Looking at the dash, you'd never know it was a replacement, and it lights up and pops out just like it's supposed to. Best $3 I've spent on the car. :D The lighter is made by Victor, part # V5141, I got mine at Wal-mart but you can probably find the same item at any auto parts place like Advance, Autozone, etc.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
i am thinking bout doing the same but was you lighter a rochester or the other kind?
I believe he said it is a Rochester.

No scoffing here. Seems like a prudent repair to me.
:agree Nice fix. I need to look into it so I have a place to plug in the cell phone. Did they use cell phones in '68??:lol:

·
GTOAA 04-06 Technical Advisor
228 Posts
Heck, they didn't even have CB radios in '68....at least not mainstream! No cupholders, MP3 players, etc. No Sir, when you were behind that wheel, you DROVE!
How boring!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't smoke, but I did want my cigar lighter to work in order to charge cell phone or plug in a GPS occasionally. So I did the same thing several months back and had excellent results as well. Bought mine at Pep Boys. I think it was also a Victor brand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.