Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lots of people on here talk about different options for swapping out their TH400s or muncies for something with overdrive. Is there any way to do this on a budget? I know I could pick up a 700r4 for $100 from a friend, but will it survive behind Poncho Power? I'd also need an adapter kit and a different driveshaft. Would I need to get it rebuilt? What would all of this cost? If I can do it for under $1000 I very well might go ahead and do it.

What about the 4l80e or the 200-4r? Obviously a TKO is not a budget swap. Any other options? How much did your OD tranny swap cost and what kind of power is it rated for? What mods were needed?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
I would think you could do it for under $1000.

Do your research (obviously) on the "preferred" 700R4's and what the weak points are and you may be able to upgrade one yourself with heavy duty clutches,drums, and bands. Consider buying a book or manual on the trans type you choose to get all the info you can. Could save an expensive mistake down the road and help you trouble shoot if you do have problems.

You can also shorten the driveshaft yourself if you have access to a MIG welder and a band saw.

The expense on trans in my experience is the proper converter and getting a rebuild. Look on CR and what is advertised locally or take your chances with a salvage yard.

Anything is possible......:cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
I just did some browsing out on Bowler's web site. Bowler makes good transmissions and their prices reflect that. They do sell several different versions of the 700R4 depending on their torque handling capacity.
The base 700R4 (no advertised torque rating) sells for $1855
Rated for 375 lb.ft. costs you $2850
Rated for 550 lb.ft. costs you $4900

Their 4L80E's (up to 650 lb. ft.) sell for $6440, or (up to 800 lb.ft) $7625.

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Orion, contact Steve Barcak on the Performance Years Pontiac website. He has done a bunch of 700R4 low buck conversions and knows all of the tricks. He even tows trailers and boats with his GTO's so equipped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts