Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Check oil message

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  silversport 
#1 · (Edited)
Driving today and a "check oil" message came up on the display, not the "service oil" message, and the red warning light is NOT lit. Pressed the mode button to clear it.

Pulled over, checked oil and the level/color is fine. Started her back up continued on my way and the message "check oil" came up again, still no red oil can light.

After a bit of shopping started her up and drove home, no more warnings, no odd sounds, she is driving fine.

It is very cold here could it just be a false alarm?

Any help is very welcome, i just got her paid off and dont want to blow her up.

'05 A4 70k miles

#2 ·
have you checked the oil level when the car is cold and not just running???...are you using full synthetic oil???...were you driving long or did the light stay on from when you started the car...being really cold could easily effect the lights temporarily but I'd monitor it to see if it does it again...perhaps check for codes (many car parts places have a scan tool if you don't)...good luck.

Bill

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

Using Mobil-1 5-30, was driving about 10 mins before the check oil message came up. Pulled off the road, checked oil. Continued on my way and a few minutes later the warning message came up again, I was only a few mins from my destination at this point. Went in and shopped for about 30 mins, no messages on my way home. The warning is not the red oil can light, its on the green digital display.

#5 ·
It's been 4-5 months since oil change, but i'm only at 2k miles since then.

Went out today and noticed the warning only comes up when I get the revs up a bit, like 3-4k rpm . If I drive like i'm old nothing, get on it a bit and the warning message comes up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.